• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Location/Noise

skirk55

Nov 6, 2006
Bucks County Pa. 18940
I have my antenna on a fender mount and it picks up fan noise. If I relocate my antenna to the back of the cab between the bed and the cab will It have any change on cutting down on fan noise. I purchased a inline filter and I have not installed it at this time it's in the dack of a UPS truck. :?

First see if the noise is radiated or conducted. Disconnect the antenna and see if you still hear the noise. If you do, it is conducted and filtering the radio's power leads, and or fan power leads, and or moving the CB's power leads should help. If the noise goes away, then moving the antenna location will probably help...

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
skirk55 said:
I unpluged the antenna and no noise! I orderd one filter .Do I need to put one on the fan motor also?

If there was no noise when the antenna was disconnected, then the noise is radiated. This means the fan noise is electro-magnetic in nature so unless you can shield motor better, you will probably have to move the antenna to get it out of the noise field.

Filtering the power leads will probably not help...

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Yes you did and after I talked to you I lost the papper I wrote it down on and my wallet the same time. I just found my wallet thank god! It's a 50 and older thing. I will now go to our Rat Shack for the stuff.Thank you for the help again.What a pain in the neck on noise at all just the fan! I guess you guys have had many problems that you have solved over the years. I thought you put up the antenna and powre up the CB and you are good to go. This is why when I order a new radio all I will ask for is a good strong radio and let you do the rest!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.