• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna mount condensation cure?

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
How can i deal with condensation on my antenna mount backing plates/feedpoint? Here in the NW corner its always humid and damp, and in the mornings my antenna backing plates/ coax feed point are dripping with water, literally. I was thinking of maybe stuffing some home insulation in there but they dont sell small pieces. Does anyone else have to deal with this? What was your solution?

How can i deal with condensation on my antenna mount backing plates/feedpoint? Here in the NW corner its always humid and damp, and in the mornings my antenna backing plates/ coax feed point are dripping with water, literally. I was thinking of maybe stuffing some home insulation in there but they dont sell small pieces. Does anyone else have to deal with this? What was your solution?

A picture won’t hurt (specifics). Mobile or Base could ask for different approaches.

I’ll assume you’ve searched here and at QRZ (but I know I’ve seen it addressed).

I use ReJex on mobile gear. (There’s cautions out there about waxes or sealants or similar).

My experience on the big truck is that 100k miles per year means an incredible amount of dirt, bugs, chemicals hit and adhere.

That which makes the surface somewhat hydrophobic makes for easier cleanup. Less moisture adherence

Otherwise, Coax Seal is an ancient “remedy”. It was a requirement by the manufacturer when I was installing QualComm satellite gear years ago.

Drip Loops, Shields, (and other) may pertain.

Reactions: 144inBama
Mounts and backing plates? Not sure what the issue is but condensation getting INSIDE the connections is what you need to worry about. Any GOOD quality electrical tape such as Scotch 33 or Scotch 88 in several layers followed with a thin coating of silicone sealant will waterproof it for years. Don't worry about using the "wrong" type of silicone as I have seen far too many people do. If the connector is first covered with tape there is NO PROBLEM. Been doing it with the "wrong" silicone for 40 years and have never had a problem. You can also seal the connector with self amalgamating tape with regular Scotch 88 electrical tape over it as the self amalgamating tape is not UV resistant. Again, 40 years and never a problem.

Mounts and backing plates? Not sure what the issue is but condensation getting INSIDE the connections is what you need to worry about. Any GOOD quality electrical tape such as Scotch 33 or Scotch 88 in several layers followed with a thin coating of silicone sealant will waterproof it for years. Don't worry about using the "wrong" type of silicone as I have seen far too many people do. If the connector is first covered with tape there is NO PROBLEM. Been doing it with the "wrong" silicone for 40 years and have never had a problem. You can also seal the connector with self amalgamating tape with regular Scotch 88 electrical tape over it as the self amalgamating tape is not UV resistant. Again, 40 years and never a problem.

I’ve seen the recommendation of several tape layers (types), but not the use of silicone. Thx.

Really can’t stand Coax Seal as it’s a B to remove.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated