• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna mounting. Humming, trees, garages, etc.

nobody123

Feb 26, 2012
I've got a 5/8 wave Firestick stud mounted on the roof of my Superduty. It works but I get a humming noise when I drive over 50 MPH.

I'd like to upgrade to a Predator 10K or Wilson 5000 antenna. Will the noise go away when I mount up one of these antennas ?

What happens if you hit a tree with a Predator or Wilson antenna stud mounted ? Should they be spring mounted instead ? Is there some other type of break away or folding mount ?

Or should I mount a 102" whip in the bed of my truck instead ? At least it will bend over easily ????

Thanks !

That noise is a product of mechanical vibration. I won't say it would go away if you change antennas, but it will definitely change what you will hear. One alternative to a change in antennas is to just change the present antenna in some way that will change the noise you hear. There are limits to that, you don't want to change that antenna's electrical characteristics. One way is to tie a string/ribbon/rope/whatever to the thing so that the mechanical vibration changes frequency/tone to something less objectionable. How long, what kind of thingy? Beats me, what'cha got?
- 'Doc

(Completely beside the point, that antenna you got isn't a 5/8 wave no matter what 'they' call it, unless it's something like 22 feet long. It can't possibly perform like a 5/8 wave. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that it's misnamed. That's called advertising.)

Reactions: 1 person
You're getting the hum because the Firestick is "fat" (wide diameter) A stinger or whip based radiator like the Wilson 5000 is much skinnier. Less diameter = less noise.

You may want to switch to the good ol' 102" whip anyway. Wins every competition. Broader-banded (lower SWR over wider frequency range) Best ears too as you have the most signal capture area. In almost every application, the longer the antenna, the better it will work.

Good luck

I can not comment on the hum with the 102" as I have never noticed it in my truck. I would suspect it is electrical, Fuel pump, Alt, fuel injecters, Spedometer sending unit and such. They used to make noise filters that wired into the power wires that helped some.

I personally love the 102" and have mine mounted behind the cab on the driverside. I know this is not the best mounting spot but I figure it still has more whip above the cab than a wilson would have if it was on the cab. That being said it can be a pain in the butt if you use alot of drive throughs and such.

I've got a 5/8 wave Firestick stud mounted on the roof of my Superduty. It works but I get a humming noise when I drive over 50 MPH.

I'd like to upgrade to a Predator 10K or Wilson 5000 antenna. Will the noise go away when I mount up one of these antennas ?

What happens if you hit a tree with a Predator or Wilson antenna stud mounted ? Should they be spring mounted instead ? Is there some other type of break away or folding mount ?

Or should I mount a 102" whip in the bed of my truck instead ? At least it will bend over easily ????

Thanks !

When you do a through the roof mount all antennas will produce different levels and types of noise. Firestiks are fat with wires covered in plastic and that makes them noisey.
As far as drive throughs go, park the truck and get your food inside.
Widen the hole to 3/4" and put a Wilson 5000 up there, that's my opinion.
If you don't want to do any of that, keep the speed under 50 mph and drive like you have an AARP card.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.