• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna on headace rack????

J

johnmeador609

i would like to mount my antenna on my headace rack because i dont like antennas on mirrors my only concern is what happens if i clip a power line with it??

The first thing that comes to mind is that you break the antenna. Second thought would be electrocution. Then, probably, nothing'll happen, tires are rubber and rubber is an insulator. I certainly don't think I'd 'test' that one though. That's either a tall rack, a big truck, or a long antenna.
- 'Doc

peterbilt 379 and a wilson 2000 just wanted it up there if possible because i like the look of a clean truck nothing clutterd up. also dont like coax runnin through the doors. im kinda like you about the tires and such thought it was a stupid question but ive seen a few trucks like that so i just thought i would ask. just didnt want to get on a county road and hit one and fry a good radio and amp. but ive also seen trucks hit them before with there stacks and nothing happen to the electrical system on the truck and it looks like it would have blew fuses and such if the tire theory was a myth right??

All kidding aside, I seriously doubt if hitting a power line will do anything electrically bad. Mechanically? No idea, but not something that I'd look foreward to. I think I'd wonder more about some of the bridges and bending/breaking the antenna. I've seen one of those accidents at one local bridge, and am very supprised that there hasn't been one at another local RR bridge which is even lower. (Not a semi, but I drove a rather tall truck for a time and 'that' bridge/street was a no-no. Even if the destination was 50 feet on the other side of that bridge, it meant an eleven block detour.) I think I'd think twice before doing it. Other than the reason we've been talking about, I think it's a nice idea though...
- 'Doc

Running a 2000 behind tha cab of a 379 will work IF you pull flatbeds or tanks. If you pull any kind of van, you'll end up with reduced range, sometimes in the extreme. The main part of the antenna, the coil (plastic "ball") needs to be aove the main mass of the cab AND trailer to be effective. A top-loaded antenna such as the Firestick or Wilson Silver Load (also known as Wilson FGT) would work better behind the cab.

10-4 appreciate it i do pull skate board so the coil will be above the truck and trailer if i putt it there the coil will not be close to anything and be a good 8 inchs above the highest part of the truck.

antenna

ifyou only pull skateboards youll be good to go just make sure the coil isnt obstructed and the antenna it self is grounded real good and youll be good to g0!!!!!!

I have my 2000 on the back of my cab. My buddy also,he has a silver load. Same radios 29s mine is from 92. His is a 04. His ears are better than mine seems like. Maby I need to switch (silver load.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.