• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna on Jeep

Ok here is what I went and done... I saw I had too much Coax.. channel 1 =2.5 channel 40 =Red 4.0 I cut 6' off making the coax 12' made new radio to swr meter cable 2' ( hmm that would make a regular coax 20' ) No differance in Swr.. run 12ga ground from ant. mount to frame No differance in swr.. still 2.5 chan. 1 and 4.0 on 40. cut 2 turns off of coil 2.0 and 3.5, cut 2 more turns. 1.7 3.2 cut 2 more turns 1.5 chan 1 and 2.5 on channel 40 checked channel 19 it also was 1.5 should I keep cutting unti I hit 1.0 on channel 1 ??

Nope, thats not my website.

I hope you meant you grounded the antenna mount and NOT the antenna.

Stop cutting the coax...that's not helping anything.

You're "taking turns off the coil" means you're cutting the antenna wire at the top, right? You're seeing the SWR going down on both channel 1 and 40 as you shorten the antenna because it's too long (which is often the case). Take small amounts now. Until you get it the same on channel 1 and channel 40. You'll probably be able to get it down to under 1.5 on both channels. When both channels are as close to the same as is practical, you're done.

Moleculo is absolutly right on the money! Actualy cut off one more small peace, and your going to be good-to-go. Dont try to reach 1.0...With that antenna, it will never happen. anything around 1.5 or just under will be just fine for that antenna. (1.3 to 1.5)

Told ya that tech didnt know what he was talking about by 18' being "LAW"!

I have removed about 3" of wire off the coil top. and will remove a little more tomorrow. When I cut the coax the swr did increase .5 not much at all.. but I don't have a lot of cable coiled up in the way either.. I saw a jeep with the 102 whip on the bumper tonight it is flexable but he complains of it banging on the jeep and from side to side in rough country.. So I will stick with a top load fiberglass.. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.. I was cutting about 1 1/4 " but tomorrow I wiil cut 3/4 " at a time (chicken)

Just as a suggestion, short the coil turns instead of cutting them off. Whole lot easier to take a step backwards that way...
- 'Doc

Ralphdb said:
I have removed about 3" of wire off the coil top. and will remove a little more tomorrow. When I cut the coax the swr did increase .5 not much at all.. but I don't have a lot of cable coiled up in the way either.. I saw a jeep with the 102 whip on the bumper tonight it is flexable but he complains of it banging on the jeep and from side to side in rough country.. So I will stick with a top load fiberglass.. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.. I was cutting about 1 1/4 " but tomorrow I wiil cut 3/4 " at a time (chicken)
Yep. thats another problem with the 102'' whips...they will also whip-the-hell out of your auto! To fix this problem, you would need to drill a small hole in a tennis ball, and slide the ball down the antenna, to where it hits the body....

tennis ball act's as a rubber-bumper!

Anetenna.

Thanks for all the good advice, but I shall put the SWR meter away today.. I got channel 1 down to 1.3 and 40 was at 1.8 so I cut again. channel 1 went up to 1.5 and 40 came down to 1.8 . 19=1.6 so since I will be using channel 5 99% of the time if figured to stop at 1.5.. I am assumming that this is good enough to rather close with buying anothe antenna.. Thanks for all your help . This is much better than 4.0 or higher. I learned alot and enjoyed being informed befoe trying anything.. One more thing! are you saying that the Length of the Coax should not be changed from 18' I was told that in the 60's could the coax have improved enough that this does not matter any more. or that my 1.5 would really read 1.0 with another new 18' coax?

I wouldn't mess with adusting the antenna any more. It's fine.

The length of coax never mattered...not in the 60's and not today. If you have a lot of extra coax, you can cut it to the length you want so you don't have all the excess. As long as you put the connector back on properly, you should be ready to talk on the radio.

What he said! Some people play with the coax, to try and "fool the meter", But thats all its doing by trying different leigths of coax run's, or jumpers....If you have a 1.5 to 1.8 swr now, your good-to-go! That antenna at 1.5 is perfect, dought you would ever get it to 1.0 (same with 102'' whips 1.3 to 1.5 is just about as good as they get...)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.