• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna question

rangelia

Aug 16, 2018
Hey yall, first post so please bear with my lack of knowledge. I mounted my antenna (Wilson 2k trucker) on top of the headache rack on my truck. I welded the mount to the rack. The rack is welded to the flatbed and the flatbed is welded to the frame of the truck. Is there any other type of grounding that I need to do as far as the antenna goes? Im running a cobra 29 ltd in the loop if that matters. on a side note, I was on 19 to see if everything in order and I was told I was herd about 9 miles away,,, not sure if that's true or not. Thanks for your time. spooky

sorry I see that I put this in the wrong section and I cant delete it I will repost in the proper section.

You do what you can with grounding with a mobile setup. The best situation is having a good size sheet of metal that the antenna is mounted in the middle of like the roof of a car. It is not always practical to mount an antenna that way so you do what you can and see how it works. Maybe make some changes later on to make it better. Performance expectations need to be realistic.
As mentioned, get the SWR down as low as possible and (usually) centered in the band.

K0bg.com has a lot of helpful hints. As far as proper antenna installation and grounding in that case, it seems straight. Bonding is another story. 9 miles away is not uncommon given that you’re antenna is tuned properly.

If your SWR is good, and if you get a chance to put an antenna analyzer on the system, then you can fine tune and make everything perfect.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.