• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna question

Joe

I currently have an inverted V at 55 feet for 15,17,20 and 40m

I would like to get 80 meters. I was thinking of taking down the two wires in the back of the house and attaching in there place the proper length of wire for 80 meters in an inverted V. I would use the font inverted V for 15,17,20 and 40 meters, and use the back inverted V for 80m. Would this work ok??

I have heard that 80 meters dose not work well with an inverted V, any truth to this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What two wires are you talking about taking down and replacing with an 80m inverted Vee? Will this be a separate antenna from the 15,17,20 and 40m inverted Vee or are the 80m wires to be connected to it as well? An inverted Vee for 80m will work fine.I have been there and done that a few times.It won't be the best antenna but if it is 55 feet to the apex it will work quite well.The higher the ends are the better.

QRN said:
What two wires are you talking about taking down and replacing with an 80m inverted Vee? Will this be a separate antenna from the 15,17,20 and 40m inverted Vee or are the 80m wires to be connected to it as well? An inverted Vee for 80m will work fine.I have been there and done that a few times.It won't be the best antenna but if it is 55 feet to the apex it will work quite well.The higher the ends are the better.

Hi QRN

Currently I have a full wave inverted V

An inverted V to the front of the house and an inverted V to the back, all one antenna.

I was planning on turning the rear inverted V into a 80 meter inverted V. I would use the front inverted V for 15,17,20 and 40 for which it was designed for originally, and turn the rear into an 80 meter inverted V

Still one antenna, just two different inverted Vs

Sounds like a maypole antenna to me. When you say you have a full wave inverted V, is that full wave on 40 meters? If so, that's going to be real close to a 1/2 wave on 80 meters (might have to play with the length a little to get it perfect, or just use a tuner). If that's the case, you're already good to go. If not, you can add another 80 meter 1/2 wave segment.

If you don't have the space or height (sounds like you do, though), Alpha Delta makes some 80m load coils that go on the end of a 40m dipole to turn that segment into a 40/80m antenna.

Moleculo said:
Sounds like a maypole antenna to me. When you say you have a full wave inverted V, is that full wave on 40 meters? If so, that's going to be real close to a 1/2 wave on 80 meters (might have to play with the length a little to get it perfect, or just use a tuner). If that's the case, you're already good to go. If not, you can add another 80 meter 1/2 wave segment.

If you don't have the space or height (sounds like you do, though), Alpha Delta makes some 80m load coils that go on the end of a 40m dipole to turn that segment into a 40/80m antenna.

Hello

No its tuned to 20m but with an antenna tuner I can get 15,17 and 40, I can only listen to 80m but can't tune it, the match is way off.

I'd bet if you changed the feedline to ladder 450 ohm ladder line and used a tuner with a 4:1 built in balun you would have an antenna that would work on 75 meters. It would not work as good as a 1/2 wave dipole, but it would allow you to get on the band.
Ed

The ladder line would definately help, but it's not going to work great (as you said). So if I understand correctly, it's a full wave on 20 meters (which is approximately a 1/2 wave 40 meter antenna). If you have the room, lengthing that to a 1/2 wave on 80 is what you really need to do, or purchase those load coils i was referring to earlier.

Different installations will yield different results. With ladder line (or window line, or whatever you call it), the feedline radiates as part of the antenna. This can add a vertically-polarized component to the horizontally-polarized pattern typical of a dipole. Might help; might not. You won't know until you try it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.