• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Question

CDX197

Apr 2, 2005
Nebraska's cornfields
I just bought a older 85 GMC truck. Im wanting to put a cb in it but not sure on the kind of antenna. Would like it to be a magmount. I have a chrome roll bar with KC lights on it so i dont if that would effect it if i perminantly mounted an antenna. Money is a problem so any help would be great. Thanks!

There would be some affect if you mounted an antenna on that roll-bar. How much, or exactly what affect that would be is a good question! Not too likely to have a definite answer before you try it. I really wouldn't expect a huge difference, but there will probably be some, maybe. It's certainly worth trying. - 'Doc

Oh i was talking about perminantly mounting a antenna on my box but right by the Roll Bar. I dont want to mount it on it. My Radio antenna is already on it. I was just asking if i were to mount antenna's on both sides would it efect it? But i would mainly be for looks and just listning. BUT i would rather just stick a magmount antenna on the cab and be done with it. Thats the question i was leaning twords. What antenna would you guys reccomend and at a low price.

Hmm ...there are several antennas that would fit what you are looking for.

Mag mount- Wilson makes good mag mount systems.I would not recomend running any power with the mag mount system but the Lil' Wil is a great one using 50 watts or under...price around 30 $ to 40$ and the other Wilson mag mounts are good as well,priced around 50$...

I personally run this antenna on a Ranger 2950 .The Lil Wil was set in the middle of the cab and I had no problems at all with this set up...worked all of North America on ssb

Mounting on tool box- Firestick2(price around 20$ plus mount kit and coax) is a good one for mounting at that location.I would recomend a 4 foot antenna mounted towards the back of the truck on the box and be sure the tool box is grounded to the rest of the truck,and you can safely run 200 watts through the Firestick.

I personally run this antenna on a Uniden Grant with a channel kit ,and a 75 watt kicker and I was able to work all of north america without any trouble on ssb.

Make sure that you tune the antenna for lowest swr reguardless of what system you choose..

Hope that helps !

Anything close to one antenna will affect that antenna to some extent. How much depends on how close 'electrically' they are, as in frequency and distance. If it's cut for the same band, yes it will affect how the 'other' antenna behaves. Same if it's cut for harmonic frequencies related to the 'other' antenna. If the two antennas are for widely separate bands, there will be some kind of affect, may or may not be noticeable. Back to that harmonically related frequency thingy. 'Bout as clear as mud, huh? Sorry... - 'Doc

Ive ran 125 DK 400 or so pep with a wilson 1000 mag mount. No problems. Fransis make good fiberglass antennas but not real tough as far as lasting along time but they work great. If I were you I would get the wilson 1000 mag. Not the best antenna made but very good. I always have one around for an easy install and it will last a long long time! You can find them for 60 buck or so. Not cheap but neither is buying a mount and then have to get a antenna. Talked alot of DX on that(y) 1000!

I do a lot of hunting and a ton of driving in the woods. So the way the truck is im more likely to hit trees with the hight its at now. Let alone having an antenna sitting another 2-4 feet higher than the truck. What are some stronger antennas that can stand a beating??:confused:

:drool: really thought about those whips but i jsut went ahead and went to the truck stop and bought some black ones. Kinda wish i could get out a little farther :glare: but hey atleast ive got ears. (y) Ill post pics when i get my camera back.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.