• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna question

Boonie

Nov 13, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I am looking to buy a 2 1/2 or 3 inch stainless ball mount for my truck. I want the one that has the coax conecter already on. and i want the stainles model. i have seen a few on the net but doesent say weather it has the coconnecter on it. i am running the 102 ant and will be installing a spring also. Do they make a stainless spring too? I am hoping that sombody can point me in the right direction.

Stainless steel springs?

You can choose from (3) models from HRO(Ham Radio Outlet)they are a HUSTLER Model C-29($21.95),HUSTLER Model SSM-3($29.95),or the CAV-AV LABS Model SS-1-MKV(SUPER HEAVY DUTY)($89.99).These are all SUGGESTED RETAIL prices so I would CALL them by phone for FINAL pricing.Hope this is a help for your antenna project?;)

SIX-SHOOTER

Boonie,
A ball-mount with an SO-239 connection isn't the most common type on the market, not 'rare', but not common. They are available though, so it's just a matter of finding a seller. The 'stainless' part may be a problem too, I honestly don't know. The most common place to find a ball-mount used to be Radio Shack. Having used both their very old ones, and the newer ones, I would not recommend the newer ones unless you are desperate. Keep looking, you -can- find them.
There are alternatives. Google 'Breedlove' for antenna mounts. They won't be stainless, but are brass. They are also not the cheapest things on the market, that's referring to both cost and -quality-! If brass will work for you, and if you don't see what you want, this guy will make any thing you want. He's a very good machinist.
Not much help, huh? It is an alternative though.
- 'Doc

Boonie,
A ball-mount with an SO-239 connection isn't the most common type on the market, not 'rare', but not common. They are available though, so it's just a matter of finding a seller. The 'stainless' part may be a problem too, I honestly don't know. The most common place to find a ball-mount used to be Radio Shack. Having used both their very old ones, and the newer ones, I would not recommend the newer ones unless you are desperate. Keep looking, you -can- find them.
There are alternatives. Google 'Breedlove' for antenna mounts. They won't be stainless, but are brass. They are also not the cheapest things on the market, that's referring to both cost and -quality-! If brass will work for you, and if you don't see what you want, this guy will make any thing you want. He's a very good machinist.
Not much help, huh? It is an alternative though.
- 'Doc

I really dont want a brass one it would not look right on my truck:D

All of the new ones I have seen at Radio Shack are simply chrome plated, both the spring and the mount, and after they are exposed to salt that is used on many roads now days in the winter time will rust. The Ones that Six Shooter posted are all made with Stainless Steel as the base metal and will hold up better.....the cost is higher, but you know the old saying. You get what you pay for.
Stainless steel ones can some times be found for less on flea bay, just make sure that they are Stainless steel.
One thing to note, you MIGHT not need a spring depending what antenna you are using and what band.

Jeff

All of the new ones I have seen at Radio Shack are simply chrome plated, both the spring and the mount, and after they are exposed to salt that is used on many roads now days in the winter time will rust. The Ones that Six Shooter posted are all made with Stainless Steel as the base metal and will hold up better.....the cost is higher, but you know the old saying. You get what you pay for.
Stainless steel ones can some times be found for less on flea bay, just make sure that they are Stainless steel.
One thing to note, you MIGHT not need a spring depending what antenna you are using and what band.

Jeff

Well i am running the 102 whip from radio shack. And i dont usually drive my truck in bad weather. most of the time it sets under the carport.

Please over look me posting in the wrong antenna forum. I just found the cb antenna area... Thanks :laugh::blush:

antennas are antennas, the 102'' would get you in the 10 meter band and this qualifies your post here in the amateur section,(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.