• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Rotator Power Cable

I managed to get a small Rotator (TV type) for my 3 Elem Yagi, my question now is....... I think you can guess????.....do I have to use 3 core Antenna Rotator Cable or can I use normal 3 core power Cable.

Power cable meaning the type you would use for say....... a power extension Cable?

The reason I ask is that I'm finding it hard to get 3 core Rotator Cable in the UK, could get it in the US but not keen on international postage, lost a few items in the past.

If anyone knows of a supplier in the UK it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.....

Last edited:

Rotor Cable

Yes you can use a standard power extension cable of 18 gauge or larger with 3 wires under a continuous jacket. I would look for a "construction grade" type cord having and outer covering of flexible vinyl or neoprene and 3 separate insulated wires inside...not NYLON! The end at the rotor cable should be sealed with high quality electrical tape (EX: Scotch 33+) to prevent moisture from contaminating the wires...solder the striped ends where they mount under the screws to prevent the stranding from breaking down and coming fray and touching each other. Then make sure you fasten the cable with a little slack to prevent tension on the connections near the rotor and several other places down the length of the cable on the tower or pole to prevent movement from wind.
This should last several years and give you good service
All the Best
BJ

Rotor Cable

BJ......thanks a lot for the good advice, I wasn't too sure if I could use standard cable.

Will follow your instructions to the letter BJ.

I have managed to find a Shop in UK with Rotor Cable but I have a lot of industrial power cable spare in my Garage so everything a saving, just hope I have enough, I'll only need about 20 Metres.....fingers crossed.

Just hope the rain stops....

Thanks again & 73's.

108FAT101

John

(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.