• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Through Roof Of Car

Mack, even if he could drill that saw blade he'll probably still end up with a weak ground to that roof. The roof section is probably sitting in place attached only with some insulating and bonding putty all around even on the supports. The supports may be welded, but I doubt the roof section itself is.

Its possible with good oil bits.. The roof is weak thus why the saw blade.. And being it dead center thats the best I am going to get as far as ground plane is. The teeth of the blade help by grabbing on to the roof at the corners.. So well see.. The roof is thin, but consistant with the body of the car. Its not just tached in a few spots.. its welded throughout

Well 22 if you have it all fingered out that's good.

If you have a good ground at the feed point, then your setup should be about perfect in the middle, but Loosecannon was right, the saw blade does not appear to make a good electrical ground contact to the auto, even if the top is welded solid to the rest of the body the coating could still be a problem.

What are the rubberized washers for?

Well 22 if you have it all fingered out that's good.

If you have a good ground at the feed point, then your setup should be about perfect in the middle, but Loosecannon was right, the saw blade does not appear to make a good electrical ground contact to the auto, even if the top is welded solid to the rest of the body the coating could still be a problem.

What are the rubberized washers for?

ahhh good point.. Wire wheel the blade and roof? I got them so when I drive them through the roof the water doesnt get through... Kinda like sealing them on the top... I might tach weld the fins of the blade and that would settle any problem.. I thought with the antenna once its grounded it uses the top of the roof as the ground-plane, Not the underside?

The saw blade is so old I doubt there is any coating left.. used it to chop HUGE tree trunks this wenter.. If not the saw blade what would you suggest for best support and overall ground plane.. No matter the mount, I will still need to be supported with something!

Tack welding isn't necessary. You would leave heat marks on the shiny part of the vehicle and allow rust to form after it blisters off. No one does it that way; they just put in the right mount/ This also solves any water leaking as a possible problem. Just be sure it has a clean contact where the saw blade touches the roof. You might consider different mounting for the antenna - not that expensive. Might be the better way to go - IMO...

Tack welding isn't necessary. You would leave heat marks on the shiny part of the vehicle and allow rust to form after it blisters off. No one does it that way; they just put in the right mount; this also solves the water leak as a problem. Just be sure it has a clean contact where the saw blade touches the roof. You might consider different mounting for the antenna - not that expensive. Might be the better way to go - IMO...

Aww do I have too? LOL... I will probably look for a roof mount on ebay or something.. Something with support on both sides and that seals good..Even if it requires a bigger hole.. I just liked that 90 because it hides behind the headliner, and its sturdy enough for what I've got on it (FireStik II)

Better Install

Well, I got a chance to look at the mount and its basically the same thing with a thin metal at the bottom so it still would have been unstable. So I went back up to home depot bought a steel plate, and a wire wheel. Got the metal on the car down to bare where the metal goes, as well as the new metal that I supported it with. Also used an old top from a cheap 2' antenna to make it look likes it a magnent mount, but will someone get a suprise when they try to snatch this one LOL... Take a look and tell me if you think this is better. The rubber washer question? If you look in the pic you'll see..It wasnt 100% necessary but my main supports we weak, so doing this actually helped support the overall strength of my roof, and it doesnt rattle no more with the bass..The saw is happy to have its blade back LMAO!

PS: The pic on the right (Inside) doesnt show the bolts, I took it before I ran the 2 you see on the left.. The bolts go through the top of the roof.. through the metal, through the wood and to the main support bars. This keeping that metal in contact with the roof :) The metal doesnt bend.. Its thick like the saw blade, but way safer

Attachments

• cb 004.JPG
    cb 004.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 27
  • cb 005.JPG
    cb 005.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 26
  • washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
If you have those
3014d1279686020-antenna-through-roof-car-washer.jpg
through the wood section you have there then the other piece of metal if unnecessary but certainly won't do any harm.

Looks to be an excellent mount and should give you good service.(y)

Much better design. The saw blade would only have cracked the roof around its perimeter from flexing. Good job.

Thanks for the response. I wasnt going to quit till it was sturdy and right..

If you have those through the wood section you have there then the other piece of metal if unnecessary but certainly won't do any harm.:

Yea, Likewise I wanted that new metal to give that cheap roof some overall strength behind it, As the wood is good for strength, Doesnt make for a good enough conductor.

I will be testing the swr later today and well see what difference it will make with a solid metal to metal contact. BTW Mack I love your quote.. Thats silly

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.