• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna tuning

Ok here goes.... I have an antenna Analyzer that when tuning an antenna will scan and find the resonant frequency of the antenna. My question is this when tuning the antenna should I tune on the resonant frequency for the lowest SWR. or should I just go to the middle of the band I want to run regardless of the resonant frequency of the antenna and just tune the antenna at the middle of band I am running for the lowest SWR??

Thanks.

Tune the antenna for the middle of the band you want to run. The act of tuning it will change the resonant frequency to where you are tuning it at.That is what tuning the antenna means.

Just as an "oh, by the way", the term "resonant" simply means that the system capacitive and inductive reactances are equal (with opposite signs), and thereby cancel each other out, leaving only a resistive element for impedance. "Resonant" doesn't imply "lowest SWR" even though it seems to, intuitively. These points are slightly different for each antenna and each installation.

Where to make the thing resonant? Depends, sort of. If you only use one particular portion of a band, make it resonant there. If you use the whole band, sort of 'aim' for the center of the band. If you only use one particular frequency on a band, then there. And so on and so on...

There are really two steps in tuning an antenna. Making it resonant, and matching it's input impedance to the feed line/transmitter, usually about 50 ohms. The resonant thingy isn't too difficult, just make the thing the right length, sort of. Impedance matching can be sort of 'hairy'. Not really all that bad, but mostly not 'right' as it comes "out of the box".

SWR is an almost useless measurement with the common SWR meter, which doesn't really tell you much specifically. It will tell you if the whole antenna system is close to what it ought to be, sort of, but there are a number of instances when it ain't right at all. A simple SWR meter just isn't very smart. It is very useful to tell when things change!
Does that mean you shouldn't use one? No, just be aware that you have to be smarter than that meter to tell if things are 'right' or not. Which isn't always 'fool-proof'.
- 'Doc

Ain't nothing 'perfect' unless you throw unbelievable amount of money at it... each time things change. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.