• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna upkeep for winter?

Break It

Oct 28, 2010
New York
The snow and salt are playing havoc with anything aluminum on my vehicle. My Predator 10K and the brass mount are having corrosion issues.

I have since replaced the mount washer with a stainless steel one, covered the SS mount hardware with a quality all weather anti-seize, and I wipe down the antenna with a terry cloth on occasion.

For the antenna, I know that WD-40 is a no-no, and have heard mixed reviews about using a quality metal polish or car wax. Is there any product I can put on the antenna that will help protect it and not cause issues?

Thank you for the input.

Not sure if it would affect RF, but clear coat does wonders for aluminum rims....

True, that did occur to me. I'm thinking not so much for antennas only because I've never seen one with clear coat.

I'm thinking of a quality aluminum polish. I do not want a mirror-shiny 7 foot here-I-am stick glaring in the sun. Just a thin coat of a protective material that has negligent affect on antenna performance. Is it possible?

Hmmm. Good for wet stuff, no doubt. I wonder how it holds up to salt? I'll have to give that a try on a test piece.

After a little bit of homework, I'm starting to wonder why, or even where, I read that a wax or polish is not recommended. I have seen antennas that are anodized, which makes sense in that it can be conductive. The oily WD-40, maybe an insulator or some impedance changing effect.

Does anyone have a copy of an antenna compendium that can be referenced regarding antenna coatings?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.