• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antron 99 vs. Vertical Bazooka ????

B

BOOTY MONSTER

The Vertical Bazooka Antenna - Ham Radio Library

ive been looking at this for about a week now and i think im gonna try it out . i currently have no base antenna . i was wondering how this vertical bazooka would compare to a antron 99 all else being equal with the top of the antennas at the same height mounted at the exact same spot ?
also , could this bazooka handle a texas star 500 ?

also , how would it compare to a 102-108 whip using a mirror mount bolted to metal pipe for mast

Last edited by a moderator:

Booty',
First, this antenna isn't a 'Bazooka' in any sense of the common definition of 'Bazooka' antennas. Including that in the name of it is very misleading. It's a simple 1/2 wave vertical dipole. As such, barring a few things this type antenna requires (choke at the bottom end, lots of voltage there and it WILL get into the feed line), it'll perform just like any other vertical 1/2 wave dipole. I have doubts about that less than 2:1 SWR over a couple of Mhz thingy, there's no practical reason for expecting that. 3:1 maybe, sort of, but not 2:1 (lots of "if's" and "buts" with that one).
That's not to say that this kind'a antenna doesn't work, cuz it certainly does, and a few of the claimed advantages of it are true. I didn't read all on that website, so there are a couple of things you might consider. Where the braid is folded back over the outer insulation is a very nice place for water to enter the feed line! That's always 'fun'. You also might give thought to weather sealing that braid, it do corrode easily, which changes it's electrical characteristics, not to mention just rusting off.
How would it compare to an 'A99' or 102" whip mounted on a mast? It would definitely be cheaper! And that's about as far as I'll go with that.
Wanna try one? Why not? Then you can tell us how it compares??
Oh, it ought'a handle whatever power you feed it.
- 'Doc

Should have read further, how does he make it stand up by it's self? Starch?

Last edited:
The Vertical Bazooka Antenna - Ham Radio Library

ive been looking at this for about a week now and i think im gonna try it out . i currently have no base antenna . i was wondering how this vertical bazooka would compare to a antron 99 all else being equal with the top of the antennas at the same height mounted at the exact same spot ?
also , could this bazooka handle a texas star 500 ?

also , how would it compare to a 102-108 whip using a mirror mount bolted to metal pipe for mast

The ONLY real way to find out the answers is to TRY IT. There's very little expense involved in antenna experimenting. If you see something that sounds interesting, or if you come up with an idea that you think might work, build it, put it up and try it out. Forget what others might be using. What works for them might not work for you at all. Find what DOES work for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated