• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antron 99 - working it flatside in the attic?

Spirittalk

Dec 19, 2006
I have been given an Antron 99 by a friend.

I am in limited and restricted space by those dreaded Housing Association chaps :(

I know that putting the Antron 99 on it's side will make it directional. It isn't the best option, but one of the very options I have :(

There is no chance of running it in a flagpole type situation or hiding it as I am also living in shared accomidation.

It is attic or nothing , but any aerial has to be better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick :D

But I am mainly interested in running DX
But as it is free then there is no harm giving it a go.

I am just wondering about reflective properties and SWR ?
Is there anyway to improve the performance of it on its side.

I have been given permission to put it in the attic only.

Would it be possible to add a reflective element in the loft and make it work like a 2 element beam?

Any adaptions I can make on this aerial.

I could go on to build an indoor dipole, but as I have been given this Antron A99 then I would like to give it a go on its side.

Has anybody used a verticle Antron or any other such verticles on its side?

And what results are expected.

Probably not fantastic, but will I be able to work further European stations from the UK

I do have a 100 watt linear to put in line as well.

You may have a tuning problem due to proximity to other objects,wiring etc. I was in the samr situation when I was first married and I had all the ham bands to consider! On 10m I had a two element wire beam in the attic and it worked like a charm into Europe and east Asia from here in Nova Scotia. I even worked into Barnaul Siberia using 50 watts of AM on 20m with another two element wire beam also in the attic.For 40m and 80m I used a loooong slinky stretched out like a longwire.To be truthfull that one sucked.If DX is what you are looking for you could try the A99 but I would give strong thoughts to the dipole in the attic and maybe make a wire beam.

As it is a freebie, then I will consider giving it a go before building any dipoles.

My next thought will be a wire dipole in inverted V format, but will see how this goes, it isnt gonna cost me anything. :D

Can anybody point me to a diagram for a two ellement beam for the attic for 11 meters SSB

Spirittalk,
Since you have the 'A99', why not? As 'QRN' said, you can expect things to not be exactly 'right', but all things considered, maybe not all that 'wrong' either. Keep as far away from any electrical stuff as possible. Not that it's going to harm the 'A99', but the closer 'RF' is to other electrical stuff, the more it makes it's presence known, sort of. Indoor antennas are never quite as good as outdoor ones. Lets see, what else can I think of that you already know...
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc,

I have been looking at the Sirio Signal Keeper as well.

I fully understand that ALL INDOOR aerials are a compromise, but so is being married and putting up with what the wife says lol :LOL:

But seriously it is a grade 2 listed accomidation and shared house.

I do have access to a loft or as you call it in the US an attic.

I wonder if it could be possible to make any further adjustments to what will be a 1/4 wave whip with a loaded coil and the legs are the ground plane.

I am ok with exposed electrical cables as the attic has been covered with insulation material so there are no exposed wires.

The apex is around 7 feet high, with just over 18 feet of length so must be able to get a half decent antenna in there even if indoor is a compromise.

I hope that insulation doesn't have any aluminum/aluminium backing!
As far as the wife/kids are conserned.. uh uh, ain't going there. I may be dumb but I ain't ~that~ dumb to talk about "She_ Who_Must_Be_Obeyed"...
- 'Doc

Just my experience. I have run a Double Bazooka dipole in my attic for quite some time with good results. I recently replaced it with an Imax 2000 and it seems to do a bit better. Both worked well. A compromise for being indoors I am sure but it got the job done for sure. When the weather improves I will try the Imax 2000 outdoors.

It's a freebie so why not.

I have built a dipole and have a freebie.

Even if you count the PL259 plugs and coax I am on the air for the equivelent of less than 40 US dollars :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.