• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antron 99

so which one???
maco with 9ft. radials
or 827 with short radials
just a note i think the sirio is more broadbanded
not sure if thats a good thing.may come with the cost of
performance idk for sure

A 99

Thanks,

But thats about all I found...

I was told it had to be grounded in 2 places that it says it in the manual, but hte person I was talking to said he had no way in scanning his manual. Mu problem is I have way too much ground static. this is just temp antenna untill I get the new spider for my Maco v58.
I have a Maco v5/8. Ill just say it might be location i dont know but i love in the Appalachian mountains. And im going back to antron99. It by far has better recieve than my maco. Im thinking also maybe reflection as the maco is a medal antenna ‍♂️

Reactions: Marconi
people need to remember that unless you use the groundplane kit with the A99, it uses the first 8-9 feet of your coax as a counterpoise.

if it were my antenna, i would run the coax straight down the mast for the first 10 feet or so.
thats just me.

also, the manual only mentions the ground wire thing for lightning protection.
not for noise, or tuning, or performance. they are just covering their a$$es.

as far as the noise complaint as it relates to that ground wire, have you ever thought that the ground wire is acting as a sort of counterpoise and in effect reducing the effectiveness of the antenna and thats why the noise is less when it is attached?

what you need is a field strength meter about 30 feet away from the antenna.

check the reading on the meter with and without that ground wire attached and see if there is a difference.

who knows, maybe it is making a positive difference for some weird reason or another.

i have owned 4 of these antennas, and i have run them with and without the groundplane kit, grounded and ungrounded, and i have never noticed a difference in the receive or transmit with and without the ground wire.

as far as the noise is concerned; remember that we live in a world with all kinds of RF devices creating all kinds of havoc for us.
heck, a wireless mouse can create all kinds of noise on a CB radio, even if its not in your house.

these are all just opinions, but they are the opinions of someone who has played with this particular antenna for years.

good luck with it,
LC
Hi what would you say for a brand new A-99 that is on a 40' pole unfortunately not real far away from a steel roofed and sided outbuilding but the antenna is way above it, the only way I can achieve a great SWR is to have the tuning rings all the way to the top, then the needle hardly even moves ? Another thing I notice is that I get 4 watts output on channel 40 and about 2 watts on channel one and I have tried several radios to make sure I got the same results???? ‍♂️

Hi what would you say for a brand new A-99 that is on a 40' pole unfortunately not real far away from a steel roofed and sided outbuilding but the antenna is way above it, the only way I can achieve a great SWR is to have the tuning rings all the way to the top, then the needle hardly even moves ? Another thing I notice is that I get 4 watts output on channel 40 and about 2 watts on channel one and I have tried several radios to make sure I got the same results???? ‍♂️
I set the rings on my 99 at the top also.
Why are you only getting two-watts?

Reactions: Danzik
I set the rings on my 99 at the top also.
Why are you only getting two-watts?
2 watts on channel 1 and 4 watts on channel 40, yeah that's what I want to know and it is like that on all the radios I have tried

I had an A99 up recently with similiar results. Dead key was:
2 watts on Ch 23
1 watt on Ch 12
0.5 watts on Ch 1.

Also, it didn’t hear worth a flip. Was hearing two locals at 5-6 on the meter. Replaced antenna with my homemade vertical and their signal increased to 8-9. And my dead key is the same on all 23 channels.

Lucky for the A99, I haven’t been able to locate my hacksaw. :giggle:

I had an A99 up recently with similiar results. Dead key was:
2 watts on Ch 23
1 watt on Ch 12
0.5 watts on Ch 1.

Also, it didn’t hear worth a flip. Was hearing two locals at 5-6 on the meter. Replaced antenna with my homemade vertical and their signal increased to 8-9. And my dead key is the same on all 23 channels.

Lucky for the A99, I haven’t been able to locate my hacksaw. :giggle:
No offense intended, but I would try another SWR / Wattmeter. Is the radio stock or has someone reduced the dead-key inside the radio?

No offense intended, but I would try another SWR / Wattmeter. Is the radio stock or has someone reduced the dead-key inside the radio?
None taken. (y)

Haven’t tried another meter.
Dead key is adjustable. (Browning Mark III).
Wasn’t too concerned about the dead key readings. I hang on 23 where the reading was 2 watts. Perfect for my KL203. It was the lack of receive that bothered me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?