• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANTRON A99

chris_53

Aug 5, 2005
Hi all, ive just been given an ANTRON A99 from a friend, whats the general view on these antenna's

many thanks.........CHRIS.

What do you have up now???
A-99 is a half decent antenna. Easy to assemble
and put up. Good SWRS.
Antennas with upgraded and better performance
would be: These are antennas i have personally used:
Imax 2000 has better performance than A-99.
Maco 5/8 has alittle better performance than Imax 2000.
I-10k best in performance over above antennas.
Depends on what you want out of an antenna.
Best thing to do is stick it up and try it...
Have a great day! Good Luck with A-99.....

The Antron 99 is a good basic base station antenna. Very simple to use as well! My antron has been doing the job for a good time and it still has life left in it! The thing is there is better antennas but for the price of new one you cant beat it!

hhmm lets see Free= a99 $140 = imax2000 w/groundplane kit $250 = I10k

best deal and bang for the buck the a99.

get some good coax (rg-213) and get it above 36 feet to the base of antenna were you hook up the coax.

once your good and hooked and got some money and want to upgrade come back and everyone will tell you 5000 different things you can do and buy with your money. LOL

:p

thanks all for youre info, at the moment im using a straightforward 18ft silver rod 1/2 wave, which in all fairness does a reasonable job, but i had heared that the a99 was a much better antenna , so thought i would get some opinions here from the experts lol

thanks once again ..........CHRIS.

hey..

here is the scoop...
i had the Big Stick...
I had the A-99
I had the Imax 2000...

now i use Jay's I-10K
it without doubt destroys all other 11 meter vertical antennas
PERIOD ..

However free A-99 not a bad deal..
Let me tell you my A-99 was extremly wide banded and with it i spoke all over the world...without a tuner...

try it...
you may like it...

you can always buy a different antenna when you want to..
then as i do you have backups...lol..

Later

Haha should have mentioned I got my a99 for free to :roll: The fiber glass was starting to peal a litle but just fine threads so I took cheap black electrical tape and raped the sections with it. The nice thing about the cheap tape is its thicker than regular vinyl tape. After that I took some good 3M white tape and went over the black tape. The black tape blocks the light from geting to the fiber glass and the white tape makes it look cool 8) lol Anyway I turned a weathered antron to a cool new looking one for cheap!

Greetings,
I started out with the antron and the first one I got had a coupling issue internally, couldnt ever get it right, sent it back and they sent a replacement, it worked correctly, then I had to deal with the "bleed stick" factor along with the massive TVI issues. I set up a ground ring arround my house out of some 1" copper cable libberated from an electrical sub station burried it about a foot under, raised up the feedpoint to 36', then I re drilled the groundplane ring to accept 90 degree placement of four Francis tripple quarter wave amazer sticks and connected the ring to the tower ground, finally I replaced the top section with a 8' Francis amazer trimmed a little, changed my feedline to72' of LMR400 from the rg-8 foam and I used the silver pl259's
It matches @ 1.5-1 center of 11 meter and with the tuner I can keep it well under controll up to 28.000, all bleed and TVI is under controll and I am using up to a 200w deadkey swinging up to 800w for my local activities,
I do prefer my Signal Engineering Thunder 8xb with the a-b-c- switch for my sideband/DX radiator but the antron is still up there and gets used for location and local blasting,
Punchin' out.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.