• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Club members on D-Star?

FatHam

Staff member
Apr 15, 2011
So Cal
Before I pull the trigger on $1000 worth of gear for D-Star, are any of you ON D-Star yet? Mole's working on a D-Star repeater, but I can talk to him on simplex! lol Is anyone else currently using it? Aside from the club, is it worth the investment?

I love it. No need to spend $1000. If you can hit a repeater and the repeater is in linked in the gateway your good to go.
The 880H is $480 delivered. Not much different than any tribander. You can still work 2m/440 aside from Dstar. Software is free at Icom home page. You can slit the cost of the programming cable with your buddy.

Glad to hear someone loves it. I don't know anyone currently using it.

I hit the $1000 number because I'm replacing a earlier Icom with cross band repeat (that I need), so that means the IC-2820H and $300+ for the D-Star/GPS module.

Lefty..

Not for nothing..
Poor example picking on special Olympics player..

Sure DStar is not typical radio ( or even true radio perhaps)
But so what..

Yeah good point, it's not fair to compare the handicapped to someone who uses D-Star. The handicapped are by far better people. My bad.

Really? Do you actually know anything about D-STAR, or are you assuming that it is all about the internet?

Why exactly is D-STAR not real radio? Is it because it's digital? Is it because it uses less bandwidth? Or maybe because you can pass data along with the voice transmission? All of those things happen ON THE RADIO, USING THE AIRWAVES. You don't have to use the internet to link repeaters if you don't want to. You don't have to talk to someone over the internet if you don't want to.

This "that isn't real radio" statement about anything new that comes along in this hobby is tired. The transistors vs. tube guys said it. The soundcard modes vs. CW guys said it. Now the digital vs. analog guys are saying it, lol. The neat thing about this hobby is that there are a lot of ways to enjoy it and there's no need to criticize something that others may like that you don't.

Reactions: 4 people
Not cool Lefty.... :blink:

Dstar is just getting started in my area,I am going to wait a while before I take the plunge...

I can see where Dstar would be a huge help though

I own a Icom 2820H with the D-Star chip and it easy to program the calls,frequencies, and the alpha tags through the face plate .

I own a Icom 2820H with the D-Star chip and it easy to program the calls,frequencies, and the alpha tags through the face plate .

That's the one I'm looking at...

So, are you finding anyone on D-Star locally?

There's about 6 of us in a 30 mile area . Currently there a D-Star stack (2m, 440, 1.2 GHz) in Crestview FL. a Stack about 30 miles away in AL and there's another stack going up in Portland FL near Bluewater Bay FL. Can't remeber the calls right away but they have good coverage except the one stack in Crestview and the one in AL has the same frequencies so they fight over my radio which gets it confused so i go to the Milton stack when the skip is in and hit it just fine . On sunday nights they have the south east weather net on D-Star with stations and repeaters linked up all over the place . You'll like the D-Star .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.