• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Flex 3000 owners here?

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
I am really interested in buying one of them.

I was gonna buy a rig in the 1200 dollar range, but if you buy a dedicated computer for one of them to run HRD ( I'm hooked), it seems the 1600 buck price tag is not so bad.

If you have run one or even observed the operation of one, I'd like some opinions.

Besides the Kenwood TS-2000 I just bought, I also have a Flexradio SDR-1000. Haven't hooked it up yet, as I am doing a lot of changes in the shack in the last week.

Nothing can really beat this radio as far as filters go. Mine has the 60m crystal/stove in it, .5ppm accuracy. It is important to get a Roland/EDIROL 66 sound card for it; the other optional sound card isn't quite up to the job.

They also have the 'Pretty Betty' skins for the SDR program.

The SDR-1000 can be found for about $800-$1000 of it has the Edirol, crystal stove, and a mic preamp with it. The software is the same as the 3000 or 5000 - same functionality too.

Damn, you must be doing well.

An unused Flex and a brand spanking used Kenwood?

I hope to do as well.

The 2000 was my choice until I looked at my options.

I liked the fact that the Kenwood could be PC controlled and had a model just for that.

Yet both are in the same price range new.

I was looking at the Flex 3000 before I bought the Elecraft K3. I have seen the Flex radios in operation at Dayton and they are impressive. However, the RX specs on the K3 are considerably better and you can operate this SDR without needing a functioning PC hooked up.

In all honesty, the Flex 3000 is a very appealing rig to me, but I got a little turned off by the responses I got from their Sales folks. When I first inquired about he Flex 3000 and also indicated that I would do an online review of the rig if I purchased it, they were very responsive to my questions. When I asked about the birdie issue that one of the members here brought up and gave them the URL to this site, they signed up as members here, but never answered my question or any other inquiry. That could just be coincidence, but when I compared my experience to the responses that other customers were getting in their own forum site (dead forum at the time) I was very discouraged from buying a Flex Radio based on the perceived customer support.

I have owned my 3000 for about a year now. The PowerSDR software and the continouse firmware updates are the best features of this radio.

This is a great "Search and Pounce" rig for contesting. "Work what you see". A mouse click tunes the radio. Click and drag the placement and width of the filters. It is very easy to work a crowed band since you can see signals. Sometimes you need a 100hz filter on CW to hear in a crowded band. Working split is very easy since you can see both the transmitt and reiceive filters.

This rig also excels with digital modes. All the audio is passed to the computer with one cable (fire wire).

You do need a good computer (at least a dual core) and two monitors are helpful if you are using HRD or other logging programs. Using virtual serial ports you can have many different programs interacting with PowerSDR at the same time

If you are a casual user or a rag chewer this rig may not be for you.

My experience with Flex's customer support has been fantastic. The phone support is the best in the business.

I'm saving my money for a 5000 with the second reciever option.

Go to my website. I have a map with the stations I have worked with this rig and an off center fed dipole up about 40 feet.

Good luck
Dave

Im looking SDR-1000 OR SDR-3000

Dear all,

Im looking SDR-1000 or SDR-3000 brand new or use but in low price. If anyone having that Radio you can contact me or send me Private Message. Thank you.

:D:D:D:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.