• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Icom / VHF repair techs here ? Ant connector Question

Billk

Jan 8, 2012
www.enginerepairshop.com
Hey guys,

I recently bought a IC3200A for a good price because the antenna "connector" cable was ripped out if the back. I have a couple of quick questions about replacing it. Looking at the service manual, the original cable just appears to be a short length of RG58 with a SO259 connector on the end.

1. Is there any reason I cant use a BNC type connector instead of the PL type ?

2. Any reason that I cannot make a small bracket to mount a bnc connector directly to the back of the radio instead of having the short cable, then the connector ? This would make it possible to just attach a Rubber Ducky type antenna right to the back of the unit if I want to use it in my shack or truly portable with a battery ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated !

There is no real reason why you could not do any of what you propose to do. I have always hated radios that have the antenna lead pig tail instead of a regular antenna jack. The only thing I would be concerned about is using a dummy load on a stick (Rubber Ducky). First is the SWR is not likely to be very good at all and second the ducky may not be able to handle much power. Most are designed for only 10-15 watts because they are meant to be used on a 5 watt handheld.

kc,
If I did use it with the Ducky, it would be on low power which is 5 watts. I am going to look through my stash from years ago and see if I have a panel mount BNC connector. I am pretty sure there is enough room to mount it, maybe even without a bracket.

Thanks,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.