• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any one using an antenna tuner for ssb cb

205lasvegas

Jun 30, 2012
Im a Ham operator going to get out my old Cobra 142gtl for ssb use, I was looking at an antenna (Jetstream JTV10 10/11 meters with 6db gain)that you must tune before you get it up in the air. Now I could tune the antenna to ch 20 (mid band) but I was thinking on doing that AND using a tuner to have the best swr possible. What do you think? Plus my 142 will go 40 channels above and below the normal bands. I could never use the 10 meter rig on the same antenna. thanks Pete

Ain't nothing wrong with tidying it up a bit with a tuner. I would tune it for the portion you will use the most, then tweak with the tuner.

Some will disagree though.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with running a tuner, I have a LDG AT-200 Pro antenna tuner and it tunes many off the wall antennas for 6 through 20 meters, even more with a Balun.
Manual tuners are just fine as well as long as you have one that will handle the output power of your rig.
Another thing you might want to look at is the I-Max 2000, many guys run this antenna on 10-11 meters with no tuner and say it works well.
Some have even reported running 10/11/12/15 meters with no tuner.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1376
I am sure a few will chime in.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Nothing wrong with running a tuner, I have a LDG AT-200 Pro antenna tuner and it tunes many off the wall antennas for 6 through 20 meters, even more with a Balun.
Manual tuners are just fine as well as long as you have one that will handle the output power of your rig.
Another thing you might want to look at is the I-Max 2000, many guys run this antenna on 10-11 meters with no tuner and say it works well.
Some have even reported running 10/11/12/15 meters with no tuner.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1376
I am sure a few will chime in.

Jeff

I have ran the antron all they into 17 meters ;) Im sure my Imax would also do it.

Tuners are a band-aid but i use one on HF on my ham station. Nothing beats a resonate antenna though!!!

I agree. I would tune the antenna for the most used portion of the band and use a tuner to flatten out the ends of the band. I also have an antenna tuner inline but prefer to use resonant antennas with a good match. That should not be a problem on 20m and up unless trying to work 10 and 11m with the same antenna. I only use my tuner to operate on 40/80/160m or when using a wire antenna simply strung out where it will fit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.