• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody ever use a Butternut HF9V?

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
I need an antenna.My A3 is just about a write-off and the rotator is broken. I plan to put up a new tower in another year and then build a quad but in the meantime I need an antenna. I thought about the balanced fed doublet but I have a problem with orientation and trees. Yes, in this case the trees are the problem and not the solution and I will not cut them down. They look too nice and offer some privacy. I also have a river behind the trees so it limits my anchor points.I have read the reviews of the HF9V on eHam but I would like to know if anyone here has used one. I would think that with a decent radial field it should work quite well for DX,maybe even better or at least as good as a doublet. Any feedback??

I see them on the top of the roof of both HRO's in my area, but haven't used one. If you want, I'll be forced to go over there this weekend and sit down at the bench and play with one that is hooked up to an Icom IC-7000 :) :) :)

I seriously considered putting one of these up on my roof a couple of years ago on my 30' push-up mast. I just didn't think I could get an effective radial field laid down on the roof to work well, so I scrapped that idea and went with the Cushcraft R6000. I bet the Butternut would work a lot better, especially if you have the ability to lay down the radials.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.