• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody Used A New Uniden Mic??

My new Uniden BC 980 SSB arrived today and I tried the mic. respondent said all clear and plenty of talk. the guy from whom I bought it yanked the noise silencer circuit to allow mic max gain. Modulation has also been tweaked and peaked on this 980. matched with a wilson 1000 magnet base coil. my SUV is fairly quiet, unless I'm doing 80+, so the noise cancelling feature wasn't really as critical as if I were driving big rigs.

One thing that bothers me a lot about this new 980 is that the daytime lighting is no way bright enough if you're in a sunny area. It'll be interesting to see how the lighting is at night. I set daytime color on the brightest blue-white they had, then set brightness and contrast to 15. I still had a hard time reading anything other than the channel number and the TX graph when I keyed up. The little numbers and function indicators on the screen are painfully small for these tired aging eyes, even with two pair of glasses!! Sure would be nice if someone figured out how to squeeze more lumens out of the lighting on the 980s.

Ya' know... the FIRST thing I did with MY 980 mic... is replace it with an Astatic 636. Never even keyed up the 980 mic.

Now if somebody'd LIKE to buy it off me, and try it out... :whistle:

How's that 636 working out for you?

With the way that Snake Radio Customs (http://www.snakeradiocustoms.com/) tweaked my mic, my gain and clarity are all one could ask for without really needing a power mic. I like the way that he fixes and upgrades the factory stuff, even if it does void their warranty. He backs his work AND invites folks to watch him work live, online. Won't see THAT anywhere else. If I remember correctly, he's in Rocky Mountain Time Zone, but on their standard time, not DST.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
Workin' goooooooood.... :cool:

It was actually an impulse purchase - no plug when I bought it, so it was sitting in a drawer gathering dust. When I got eh Uniden, with it's odd number of pins, it seemed the perfect time to wire up the Astatic for it!

I use that combo in my DD Jeep - no one whose ANSWERED me, has had a problem hearing me yet! :D

Workin' goooooooood.... :cool:

It was actually an impulse purchase - no plug when I bought it, so it was sitting in a drawer gathering dust. When I got eh Uniden, with it's odd number of pins, it seemed the perfect time to wire up the Astatic for it!

I use that combo in my DD Jeep - no one whose ANSWERED me, has had a problem hearing me yet! :D

Well, running my 980 barefoot, and with the way the skip has been stomping all local traffic around here, I can't even get out on SSB unless I'm sitting on top of someone. Besides that there's hardly anyone on CB/SSB any more. When the cell towers fall, CB will be popular again.

I got good reports with my bearcat mic. I was told the audio was clean and clear. But, it now has a short in the cord so I use a rf limited 2018 with great audio reports. I personally don't like the chrome grill on the bearcat mic.

Still wrestling with the solar activity and skip up here in the NE CT hills. Not much happening here besides that. Even the truckers are pretty quiet. Everyone who does respond says my tweaked stock mic is doing fine, on this new 980. Can't run much mic gain or talkback with an external speaker, however.

The folk I find on ch.19 around here in GREAT numbers, are the 6 wheelers!!! Lotta dump/rock/coal trucks still running around Pittsburgh, and THEY chat it up on 19!!!

Sounds as if PGH is recovering from the horrendous steel mill crash from the 60s-2000. I went through there when the mills were dying. Mr. Rogers country. My second wife had friends in PGH, and either the husband or the wife knew Rogers from working with him at the tv station.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.