• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone here ever use a High Sierra antenna?

Snake Eyes said:
What are your thoughts?

Snake Eyes

Basically any screwdriver-type antenna will work reasonably well and similarly, but I will never own one of those.

I do like their solid transparent coil cover, I switched to one on my DK-3 and got rid of the rubber motorcycle boot as it was causing detuning as it was pressed closer to the coil with speed.

One friend switched to a KC6MCI screwdriver for ~$200. It handles 1100+ watts and works very well.
I believe his uses dual fingerstock connections to the coil which is double-wound with non-conductive line between each turn of the coil.

Hi-Q seems to be the best performer overall, especially with regard to the lower bands but it's a bit more expensive and NOT a 'screwdriver' per se, it actually remains the same size regardless of tuning and is well sealed.

There are a number of screwdrivers on the market, check eham http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/12 for an idea of what to expect, and especially read the lower-number rated reviews as those seem to be the most informative.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.