• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

anyone installed one before?

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
I found this on ebay. RFX 75 Replacement RF Power stage. I was wondering if anyone has used one before. On youtube video it showed a stock 29 with one installed doing 7.5watts dk and swinging to 130 watts. But didnt know if this was actual gains or hoax. It says can be put on cobra 25s, but doesnt say about 66 or 68s, but shouldnt it be the same install? Thanks to anyone that can help

I saw that. looks like would be nice to have, but wondering if anyone out there has installed one with good/bad results

Hey i'm new hear but i just saw your post.I've installed 4 of them now & i'm gonna be installing one next week when i get the new 29 lxle delivered.I'm no expert by any means but there not too hard to install.130watts i haven't seen yet.The 4 i've done do between 90 & 110.They were all done on cobra 29's.The big thing i've personally found is having the carrier under 15 watts like the install says.All the ones i've done have been set for a 10-11 watt carrier.Big talkers now i must say.What a great mod to do.Good luck with your install :)

i personally never have installed them. but they will work with
cobra
uniden
they may work with more but this is all i know of

I found this on ebay. RFX 75 Replacement RF Power stage. I was wondering if anyone has used one before. On youtube video it showed a stock 29 with one installed doing 7.5watts dk and swinging to 130 watts. But didnt know if this was actual gains or hoax. It says can be put on cobra 25s, but doesnt say about 66 or 68s, but shouldnt it be the same install? Thanks to anyone that can help

If you want extra power, buy a small amp. Even a POS palomar amp is better than a RFX 75.

If you want extra power, buy a small amp. Even a POS palomar amp is better than a RFX 75.

Some of these guys drive company trucks and need plug-n-play. For the price and ease of use, they have their place I think.

You'd see a major improvement with just a Mosfet final upgrade. That will get a Cobra 29 up to around 50+ watts swing. I've got a used Cobra 29 I paid 30 bucks for that already had the final upgrade done and it performs better than any Cobra 29 I've ever seen or owned. It gets out like you wouldn't believe.

Or you can just get an amp like the Palomar 250 or 450. The Palomar 250 only costs around $125 or so.

You'd see a major improvement with just a Mosfet final upgrade. That will get a Cobra 29 up to around 50+ watts swing. I've got a used Cobra 29 I paid 30 bucks for that already had the final upgrade done and it performs better than any Cobra 29 I've ever seen or owned. It gets out like you wouldn't believe.

Or you can just get an amp like the Palomar 250 or 450. The Palomar 250 only costs around $125 or so.

Upgrading a Cobra 29 to a mosfet final certainly will not make a noticeable improvement. The difference between 20 watts peak(Dosy) and 40 watts peak is hardly anything in the grand scheme of things. I won't even address the 50 watt claim.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.