• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone know what this antenna is

radiofoxtrot

Jun 6, 2010
Found this in the loft but cannot remember what it's for. Anyone know what it's called or what frequencies it's for. I'm thinking it's a wide band receive antenna because it's got 5 wire wound coils getting bigger towards the top.

Here's a picture.

WvPhsPdOM1Vp6dPXbxOJlbOVr092Sl1Xcssk1VehGGU

i don't see a pic :(
but if it has "5 wire wound coils" it's probably a multiband ham antenna , but it may very well be usable on 10/11 meters .

now i can see it :)

in the pics those don't look like copper coils , but more like sections of copper pipe . and looking at the deformity of the wire running under the top two black sections it looks like the wire is running straight from one copper section to the next ....... but it could just be the pic . it is way too short for a cb antenna without a coil in it somewhere , or tap point or cap . i'm leaning towards it being a ham antenna ... but i'm JUST GUESSING . it is a base antenna though and it has no ground plane .... would be interesting to put a 259b on it and see where it's resonate point(s) is(are) .

Makes me want to think it's a multi-element vertical array of some kind. Maybe for multi-bands? Beats me, I don't know.
- 'Doc

Lots of inductors - that is for sure.
Doesn't look commercially made; definitely a home brew as far as I can tell.
Is there a place on the top of it for a whip radiator to be attached?
Almost looks like it could be a home brew mobile ham antenna for multiband use . . .

I bought it new from a shop a long time ago, all the copper coils are linked to each other. It does look like something someone made in a garden shed, you can see rivets through what looks like the black heat shrink tubing. The top has a plastic finishing cap over with nowhere to fit a whip. I have only ever been in to cb radio and scanners so i think it must be a scanning antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.