• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone own a RM Italy HLA-300V plus?

jdobbs2001

Mar 20, 2012
They seem like a nice compact amp and rated for 300W, 550pep SSB. I am a bit skeptical about those numbers, I am thinking on 200W AM pep, 100w dead key realistically.

Anyone use one what do you think of it.

All the rm italy amplifiers are cheap low end light duty amps for the money. They tend to be generous on rated ssb pep watts. What finals does this hla-300 have?

If you use the testing W8JI did as a guide, RM amps are usable without horrible IMD at about 30% of what RM claims. So you would need to run the amp at 90 watts AM and 165 SSB pep to keep it semi clean. So, the dollar to watt ratio comes down a bit doesn't it? Hes tested the HLA-150 but there are posts out there about the same being true for the HLA-300V.

Cheap amps come at a price and RM's claims to output may be true if you run the amp well into distortion.

http://www.w8ji.com/rm_hla-150_test.htm

The HLA and sommerkamp amps use the same wideband amplifier circuit as the RM cb amps with added filtering + vswr/overdrive protection and 5w feedback resistors,

Early versions used sd1446 transistors showing a little less output than the equivalent cb amps probably due to the filter losses,

In my experience the sd1446 amps are not unconditionally stable or even close,
on certain frequencies and drive levels some can be provoked into self oscillation.
later versions use larger ms1051 transistors which look good on paper but don't seem to work so well in the RM circuit.

The latest rm amps use a motorola style active regulated & thermally tracked bias circuit,
i have not had the opportunity to take measurements to see how the circuit acts under load and heat,
if it works its a big improvement over the old circuit.

Reactions: 2RT307 and Crusher
Yes the 300 amp stage is 2 x 150's combined,
The link on rm's website says ver 2.01 ms1051 but the schematic is ver 2,00 sd1446's, i have only seen ms1051's in the latest rm amps,

The 300 will work ok at the output you are wanting and it won't be driving the crap out of it, i would class the 300 as a reasonably clean 180w amp,
There's no frequency/gain leveling with the simple rc feedback networks RM use,
expect gain and output to climb as you move down the bands when using a fixed drive level..

I don't know which version you are looking at but something to think about is the tripple fan setup RM use on the hla300 and kl800 is GARBAGE eye candy, they just fight each other and cool very poorly,

A single decent 120mm fan positioned correctly is far more effective,
The fanless version is cheaper and has a full set of fins.

...I plan at using it at lower output not to push this amp something like 180-190 pep on AM..

...sure, even that is more than tWICE what it should have.
when you get keyed on ,..... then. what?....

all the looooong posts aside, this is a POS CB amp.

Reactions: RatsoW8
The RM line is very touchy about being over driven. I have component tester traces for the MS1051 transistors that never had a soldering iron touched to them and had never been installed. The failure rate of the transistors begins before the amp is assembled.
Some of the brand new transistors were showing base/emitter shorts or very near shorts. Others showed uncharacteristic Base/Emitter traces that should resemble a Zener diode trace. I think I uploaded the traces in my photo album.(I did)

Last edited:
It actually is a Amateur Radio amp that has automatic band switching and good filtering for the output. I don't think it will even work on CB even if modded.

Seems like you could use this with a Flex 1500 for SDR on the cheap. I see the 1500 come up from time to time for about 500 bucks used. I thought I remembered Mudfoot using one of these combos, but I might have my facts mixed up.

Brett

...It actually is a Amateur Radio amp...

what is the FCC certification number?
this device has not received an FCC grant of certification, which is
required for external radio frequency power amplifiers operating on frequencies below 144 MHz and marketed in the United States.

...good filtering for the output...

filters have absolutely NOTHING to do with splatter. I don't know where people get the idea that an output filter can clean up splatter..
The splatter comes because the transistors they use are too small for the power they try to run.

I don't think it will even work on CB even if modded

RM HLA300V HF AMPLIFIER 1.8 - 30MHz, 300W MAX (W/FAN) HF Professional Linear Amplifier 1.8 - 30 MHz All-Mode All-Band amplifier

Reactions: psycho
RM is underhandedly using an application number they filed with the FCC to fool people into believing these amps are FCC approved. They are not and they will work on 11 meters. The FCC will never certify any of their current line of amplifiers.

Like this nonsense...RM is going all out with their fantasy (Or scam?) of FCC approval. Would you really want to buy anything from a company that would outright lie to sell a product? Their claims of FCC certification are complete BS of the smelliest kind.

The New RM Italy HLA 305v HF Wide band Amplifier got certified by FCC, FCC ID: 2ACTRHLA305V.

http://www.dnjradio.com//product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=392

Last edited:
Reactions: DainBramage
RM is underhandedly using an application number they filed with the FCC to fool people into believing these amps are FCC approved.. Their claims of FCC certification are complete BS of the smelliest kind.
http://www.dnjradio.com//product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=392

exactly correct. when you go to the link you provided RTM Italy states (quote) "
The New RM Italy HLA 305v HF Wide band Amplifier got certified by FCC, FCC ID: 2ACTRHLA305V"

"GOT"(???) certified, .......they need to larn mo bettah english too.

exactly correct. when you go to the link you provided RTM Italy states (quote) "
The New RM Italy HLA 305v HF Wide band Amplifier got certified by FCC, FCC ID: 2ACTRHLA305V"

"GOT"(???) certified, .......they need to larn mo bettah english too.

"Got Certified"??? What that mean?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.