• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone recognize this addition?

Redbeard U812

WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas
Jul 14, 2018
Friend found a 148gtl in a junk car and we opened it up wondering why it wasn't working. There seems to be an added board of some type attached to the right side, enclosed in metal. It has two pots for adjustment. There are four mini jacks on the back of unit for some reason. I figure its a sound board? Does anyone recognize it? Searched online but am unable to identify it.

Attachments

• IMG_0214[1] (2).JPG
    IMG_0214[1] (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 82

have never seen this one but looks like it is going to the audio circuit. what does the switch on the right rear do. at least it looks like a toggle switch.

have never seen this one but looks like it is going to the audio circuit. what does the switch on the right rear do. at least it looks like a toggle switch.

I forgot about that....Ummm. We don't know. Grey wire connects to mic jack and some of the others look to be up around RF meter. Those jacks got us baffled because they are grounded to chassis. Like the old telephone operator in Mayberry.

Unit doesn't work. Lights come on but no one is home. No TX or RX.

I guessed meter thing myself, but he's convinced they are a switching set up of some kind. I doubt it. Have some other pics but unable to transfer them from phone to comp.

Exterior cover has "C" and "S" marked at hole locations. I figure is an echo or some kind of board out of a D104 desk mic. retro fitted.

it has 2 holes in the case as if there is 2 vr's in it for adjustment. strange looking thing for sure with all the wires going to the back of the radio plugs.

We looked at his radio today and upon closer inspection driver and final had been replaced previously by whomever had it before. I'm pretty sure they had the SP-1A cranked tight on the audio and caused failure again. Lots of solder jobs and some gobs on board. After reading the SP-1a thread I'm sure that is what is there. Figure it's good for SSB if used correctly, but whoever had it before prolly turned it up to max modulation and toasted some parts in there. Kav put it back one the shelf. Covers left off, screws somewhere. It will be there for a long time, in pieces, because he never puts things back together if they need fix'n. Poor radio will be covered in saw dust and cob webs before it goes into a garbage can 10 years from now degrading from rot and neglect. Sold him my Siltronix 1011D years ago when it worked, drifted a bit but worked. He had to turn it up or some dumb shit, blew the final and never replaced it. Now it sits on a table in a barn with 5-6 other radios rotting. Rats need homes too I guess.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated