1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone recommend a budget amp?

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Limeybastard, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Limeybastard

Limeybastard Active Member

Was thinking about getting an amplifier for my Stryker 955. Done some preliminary research and came up with the rm kl7505 ( with mod) or rm kl 503. Issue is going to be space probably but that's for me to figure out ,was hoping to get 150-200AM and 300-400W SSB or there abouts. Would it be worth it or not?

Currently have the 955 fitted under tye driver side knee bolster area in my pickup. .

According to simonthewizard, the rm kl7504 and 7505 are modifiable for 11m. Im assuming the kl503 works out of the box on 11m.

Forgot to mention that I've learned these amps like v low input, if i were to dial the power on the user controlled knob down to min power that would be 2W, should be fine?

Attached Files:

#1 Limeybastard, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017

2. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

For the kl amps 1 or 2 watts max...

3. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Well-Known Member

A tnt 6 pill is about the cheapest that will live with the output of the 955, unless you really detune the radio. If you detune the 955 to a few watts, what's the point?

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  4. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

What are you running for an antenna?

rabbiporkchop and Robb like this.
  5. Limeybastard

Good question. Im currently running a Wilson 1000 magmount on the centre of pickup truck roof.

6. Robb

Robb Yup

Running a +70w radio with a mag mount seems like it should do well enough all on its own - IMO . . .

Mudfoot and RatsoW8 like this.
  7. Limeybastard

Any reason you'd pick this over the cheaper RM equivalent?

Edit. I! Assuming the min 2W still not recommended to feed the RM amps.

8. Limeybastard

Yeah 70 plus on SSB only

9. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

They require 1 to 1/2 watts the kl amps

10. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Take the money you would spend on an amp cut it in half. Take that and spend it on the antenna system. If you have the nerve, drill a hole and permanent mount a sirio p5000 in the roof. Do some bonding on your truck. Run your 955 (tuned properly) into that. Will work better than a 955 with a couple hundred watt amp into a mag mount. Take the other half of the $ you saved and take your wife/girlfriend (if applicable) out to a nice dinner. Then you will both be happy......just my .02 (y)

11. w9cll

Forget the amp and spend the money on a decent antenna.

12. Limeybastard

Fek, thought didn't think my antenna was that bad. But what do i know, not much hence here.at your mercy lol.

I couldn't give a toss about drilling a hole in the roof, but by how much would that improve performance compared to similar mag mount install? Dont need to be exact, a rough figure would suffice. 10% better, 20...%? I was under the impression that a good mag mount was good. Failing that a 102" ball mounted whip as high as possible , for practical reasons perhaps back of bed near cab as high as possible to reduce reflection.

Surely then adding an amp would allow me to "touch" further after mastering the antenna projects ?

I hear folks from alabama, Oklahoma, trinidad and Tobago , Louisiana, Massachusetts but can't talk to any of the closer ones to me. Im in central Florida Hernando county.

13. w9cll

Here is some very good reading for you.

14. Robb

Robb Yup

Been back in radio for almost 10 years now. Never needed an amp yet; even though I have a half a dozen of them. But I have found that I have always needed a good antenna. For the base, a 4 element Yagi and a Sirio V4K. For the mobile, a Sirio Performer. But never needed an amp, even though my ham amp is a 1800w; never needed it! Antennas rule; amps are a crutch.

15. Limeybastard