• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone use the Icom IC-91 or IC-92?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I've been looking at the Icom IC-91AD and IC-92AD. Has anyone else here used either of these yet? They're a little pricey and I'm not sure the GPS on the 92 is all that useful, but maybe somone else has had a chance to try it?

what you want to know
i have and use the IC-91 AD

didnt realise the 92 AD was available yet
i will be getting one of those now as well

Well,

I have the Kenwood TH-F6A and love it. I've been wanting to try out D-STAR on a handheld. I guess whatever info you can tell us about your experience with this HT would be helpful. I really want to understand what $400 gets you in an HT.

to start with

i also have the THF6a
as well as Icom T-90a

and the 91 AD

the one i like least and use least is the thf6a
i love the T-90A but have not used it much since getting the 91 AD

i use the 91 AD with external mike
with a high gain dual band antenna

it has very strong audio and works very well
from street i hit a repeater 65 miles away (on 5 watt setting)
although the repeaters antenna is at 800 ft height

what i like of the 91 AD
supper easy to use
supper easy to program analog (a bit harder with DStar frequencys)
if you get the programing software is super easy to program everything

For Dstar i am not going to say there are countless people on them
but i do talk on it daily (but then in nyc we have some rather busy repeaters)

talking analog verses DStar takes a little getting used to
it is like a cell phone in that
older analog phones faded in and out of service
where currant digital ones if you are in range it is 100% if outside range is nill

another feature many like is
typiclly HT's skip from 200 to 400 mhz
where the 91 AD (not sure about the 92 AD) gives full coverage from hf through uhf

another thing i was amazed at
is though all HT's are made and designed to work on vhf to uhf
i have been able to easily copy many HF transmittions

on the downside is the battery
is 1300 mah and would think it would be suitable
is good for 5 hours analog (rated by Icom) and 4 in DStar more like 4.5/3.5

i easily get around this by having bought (for $60 or 65) a battery rated at 3000 mah and get use for couple days easily (got it from w and w batteries of long island ny)

want to know more just ask me

was that helpfull

didnt want to say simply that it was good or bad

i suppose for HF i can hook up a long wire or such if away from qth

:) thanks for the info, even if it wasn't for me, because i was looking at a 91 or 92 but i was waiting for the 92 to come out. i need anothe ht besides my d7, and i wanted to try out the Dstar system since we only have 1 repeater in the area with it.

No Problem

I would add

Do not be in a hurry for the ID-1
Although with proper repeaters you can cross band with the 2 meter and 70 cm Dstar
there is little benefit in using the ID-1 on its own
(and i have several DStar repeaters in my area)

Well,

I have the Kenwood TH-F6A and love it. I've been wanting to try out D-STAR on a handheld. I guess whatever info you can tell us about your experience with this HT would be helpful. I really want to understand what $400 gets you in an HT.

Well did you decide on a new one? if so what did ya get curious minds want to know.

One day, I'll have to get one of those. I spent the cash on an upgrade from the yaesu 857d to the 897d instead.

I hear that, by the end of the month i want to get the HiQ antenna for the mobile ive been talking about, now it's get 3/80 or just go for the 5/160 ??? AAHHHHHH!!! to many choices so little funds.

I hear that, by the end of the month i want to get the HiQ antenna for the mobile ive been talking about, now it's get 3/80 or just go for the 5/160 ???

Split the difference and do the 4/80...that's what I use. We can start a thread over in the antenna section, if you want...

More of a hassle to use than other handhelds. Yes, programming is a pain. Getting a gateway is nice, but, you can always get 'skip' on hf. bulky and the screen is really hard to read, especially when I hear others using it mobile! I cannot see mine though the eyes are getting bad. Great receiver, though am is fair.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.