• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone used the MFJ-5008?

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Anyone used this model interference locator? First I will say I’ve went thru all the hoops, shut off all breakers and the noise is still at 9 S units. Tried everything and narrowed it down to power line noise. I can hear it on my mobile as well. I’ve watched videos on this and seemed legit so I bought one. It hasn’t been delivered yet but looking for advice in one particular area. How far away from my antenna should I search for interference? 100ft… 1000ft….3000ft? (Exaggeration)…..

Anyone have experience with this to see how far away a ground plane will be sensitive to power line noise?

I have never used one. Several years ago I suffered with power line hum and static. It was in a residential section of town. I called the customer service line at the power company and they sent out a lineman about a week later. They determined it was a bad transformer and also replaced a security light gas bulb as well. I haven't had any issues since. They were actually grateful for the call, as they said the transformer would have failed at some point in the very near future.

I called the customer service line at the power company
This. I had 9 S units of noise here when we first bought the place that was coming from the power pole at the end of our street. I had to jump through several hoops with the power company including documenting the problem with video and audio evidence. After several months a rep from the company actually came out to my radio shack and I demonstrated the problem to them. Within a couple days they came back and replaced the insulators and fuses on the pole and the problem went away.
I also have an MFJ-1026, which works extremely well at phasing out noise, so long as you set it up properly with a good noise pickup antenna. It does however have very touchy adjustments and needs to be readjusted with every frequency move.
However, if you have no other recourse to get rid of noise they are an amazing tool, and can easily bring a 9 S noise level down to 1 or less.

I had to jump through several hoops with the power company including documenting the problem with video and audio evidence.
I guess these good old boys down here in this area are little easier to deal with. I know my buddy out in a rural section of TN is aggravated by the high power lines running through his property. He recently moved all his wire antennas to the other side of his property which helped pretty significantly , with the exception of his vertical 10-80 antenna.

Reactions: BC Coyote
I have never used one. Several years ago I suffered with power line hum and static. It was in a residential section of town. I called the customer service line at the power company and they sent out a lineman about a week later. They determined it was a bad transformer and also replaced a security light gas bulb as well. I haven't had any issues since. They were actually grateful for the call, as they said the transformer would have failed at some point in the very near future.
I am in a neighborhood as well. I don’t even talk on my base anymore due to 9 units of noise is miserable. However I’m trying to find the culprit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.