• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone using arrestors?

You wouldn't want this in your radio room any more than you would want it anywhere in your house. Even the tree is too close. Forget about arrestors. Best to have extra ground rods and just disconnect the coax from the rig and put it outside. Then, disconnect your gear from the wall sockets.

lightning_striking_tree.jpg

Anywhere East of the Rocky Mtns is fair game for lightning. Florida is still the lightning capital of the US. Not in the world; Africa still holds that world heavyweight title.

Global_Lightning_Strike_Frequency_World_Map.jpg

That's just it Robb, I wont be able to remove the coax from the house. I don't mind having to go outside and removing a couple of connections from within a remote box and isolating them (the ones that do lead inside) away from the tower. The tower itself with be right beside the house as well so how much good any of this will have waits to be seen, but i would like to take whatever precautions i can should the thunder gods decide to visit.

I'll have a look at the radial field idea as well Doc, thanks for the direction :) The more options of venting off all that juice the better as I think the closest i'll get any rods is about 8 feet away from the tower/house due to a cistern and the old, unused septic that still exist. Unfortunately this is the only location i'm able to use.

Thanx all....

If I lived in an area with a high occurrence of lightning, the way I would deal with it is to have a patch panel between the outside and the inside of the radio room. Then you could go outside and disconnect/unscrew all of the cables. In this way, you can isolate all of the coax away from your building. You might lose your antenna; but not your house or equipment. No guarantees really; but bettering the odds in your favor.

Last edited:
I have the shield of my coax connected directly to an 8' ground rod before entering my radio room plus the fact the pole my antenna is mounted on is driven 4' into the earth also so it don't get much any better.

Oh and the antenna pole is connected to a ground rod also.

You wouldn't want this in your radio room any more than you would want it anywhere in your house. Even the tree is too close. Forget about arrestors. Best to have extra ground rods and just disconnect the coax from the rig and put it outside. Then, disconnect your gear from the wall sockets.

lightning_striking_tree.jpg

Anywhere East of the Rocky Mtns is fair game for lightning. Florida is still the lightning capital of the US. Not in the world; Africa still holds that world heavyweight title.

Global_Lightning_Strike_Frequency_World_Map.jpg

Also hide under the nearest desk until the lightning storm passes. That was standard in case of a nuclear attack, should be ok for lightning.

Reactions: 1 person
If I lived in an area with a high occurrence of lightning, the way I would deal with it is to have a patch panel between the outside and the inside of the radio room. Then you could go outside and disconnect/unscrew all of the cables. In this way, you can isolate all of the coax away from your building. You might lose your antenna; but not your house or equipment. No guarantees really; but bettering the odds in your favor.

exactly what i was thinking :)

thanx for the link CK

Also hide under the nearest desk until the lightning storm passes. That was standard in case of a nuclear attack, should be ok for lightning.

Well, are you aware of anyone who hid under a desk in the event of a nuke, and still died from it?

Works for earthquakes too! Safest thing to do in any disaster I suppose :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.