• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone using arrestors?

Whiplash-265

Aug 14, 2011
Ontario, Canada
with reading some of the conversations lately re: lightning protection i'm wondering if anyone has gone the extra step of adding arrestors inline on their coax? Once the tower goes in i'll be going 40+ feet up, down to ground and then back up to the second level of my house through a wall where the previous owner ran in phone line coax. multiple antennas and coax leads...add a secure weather proof box and add in a few arrestors like these
Impulse Suppresors | Arrestors

that and a good rod ground to the tower should leave me pretty well off me thinx

thanx

You made a good choice in brands. I would suggest selecting one that is rated for at least twice the power level you will ever put through it (more doesn't hurt, less almost always does).
A single grounding rod is very seldom ever adequate. That's another area where you can't have too many! While you're at it, why not lay in a radial field? Take a look at the NEC, that's the -minimums-, not just what's required.
- 'Doc

I just disconnect the coax when a storm is coming and stick it in a glass jar....I also have surge protectors and ground rods....would be nice to disconnect right out on the towers.

Eastside,
I really hope your kidding about a glass jar. That just means more possible danger. As in grenade. Don't do that.
- 'Doc

Eastside,
I really hope your kidding about a glass jar. That just means more possible danger. As in grenade. Don't do that.
- 'Doc

Come on now..............that glass jar should be more than adequate to stop 1.75 Jiggawatts.

You got a better idea.....I'd be grateful. :)

Think about it for a minute. Lightning travels how far through the air? Safe to say a couple miles at least. How is a thin little piece of glass going to stop it? It won't. I have always referred to the coax in a jar as being a glass fragmentation grenade. It has happened. As for a better idea, toss the end of the cable out the window or simply leave it hanging free and clear of anything else. At least then if lightning does strike you won't have to worry about glass shrapnel.

Think about it for a minute. Lightning travels how far through the air? Safe to say a couple miles at least. How is a thin little piece of glass going to stop it? It won't. I have always referred to the coax in a jar as being a glass fragmentation grenade. It has happened. As for a better idea, toss the end of the cable out the window or simply leave it hanging free and clear of anything else. At least then if lightning does strike you won't have to worry about glass shrapnel.

I have chucked it out the window before....but I have since sealed the hole the coax comes in.

Think about it for a minute. ... How is a thin little piece of glass going to stop it? It won't. .

yeah,.... I "think" the reasoning behing the mason jar concept is to prevent the connector end from touching anything grounded,.....

but, it ain't gonna stop a direct hit from finding a place to discharge to :w00t::w00t:

You wouldn't want this in your radio room any more than you would want it anywhere in your house. Even the tree is too close. Forget about arrestors. Best to have extra ground rods and just disconnect the coax from the rig and put it outside. Then, disconnect your gear from the wall sockets.

lightning_striking_tree.jpg

Anywhere East of the Rocky Mtns is fair game for lightning. Florida is still the lightning capital of the US. Not in the world; Africa still holds that world heavyweight title.

Global_Lightning_Strike_Frequency_World_Map.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.