• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone using the KX3 with HDSDR

KG0MN

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 5, 2010
I ended up trading for a KX3 and have had some great contacts with using just 5 watts. My question is anyone using HDSDR with their KX3? If so did you have issues of seeing a double signal image on the display?

I have switched out the cable thinking noise might be playing a part in it, but no help. My other question what hookup cables are needed to operate digital modes.

Thanks
Kevin - KG0MN

I ended up trading for a KX3 and have had some great contacts with using just 5 watts. My question is anyone using HDSDR with their KX3? If so did you have issues of seeing a double signal image on the display?

Yes, I had this same problem initially. I tried some different cables and eventually got rid of the problem, although I'm not exactly what did the trick. I still see "double images" with certain nearby electronics and other nearby electric devices, so some of it is probably just local interference. I actually prefer NaP3 over HDSDR which supports the KX3 directly without having to use OmniRig and has a better user interface, IMO.

My other question what hookup cables are needed to operate digital modes.
Kevin - KG0MN

You use cables from your speaker out and mic in and hook it up to your sound card. Elecraft sells a cable kit that has all of the cables you need and is guaranteed to work (a lot of audio cables don't have the ground wire / shield hooked up). It's a few extra bucks but you'll know they work. Their cables are also all right-angle cables which is a really good idea for the Kx3 outputs.

I've owned a couple of KX3's and attempted to use them as a computer connected SDR. They failed miserably. Even with line isolators and several different sound cards. Grounding didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I never could get the images out of the panadapter.

It reminded me of my old Flex SDR-1000, but at least it cleaned up and had a good display. The KX-3's didn't.

I know others have had decent displays as I've seen them on Youtube and didn't spot images.

Fantastic radio otherwise.

I had to think about this overnight, but I remember what causes the double images now - it's a ground loop issue. If you're using a notebook computer, try running it off of the battery. Also try pulling the ground wire off of the audio cable. Hopefully one of these methods will solve the problem for you.

Seems I've had this issue with HDSDR more so than NaP3. Never seen it with NaP3. Definately go with the Elecraft cables. I can run N1MM, Log4OM, &
NaP3 all simultaneously through LP Bridge and have no issues. HDSDR is OK too just different. I'll see if I can recreate the issue when I get home. Seems there was a calibration function that took care of it for me.

Gary
KC9EE

Been a while since I had used HDSDR and couldn't get it to find Omnirig. Only had a couple minutes to play radio. NaP3 working fine though. Probably something really simple here.

Gary
KC9ee

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.