• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyones know exactly what this amp is all about ???

The RFX-150 will be goofing off behind a stock radio which means as long as you do not drive in to a dead short will last a long time.

Operating at 28V it'll be a lot cleaner than the 12V linears.

No idea why everyone is so down on China. After all most of the stuff you can buy in an Apple store is made there.

No idea why everyone is so down on China. After all most of the stuff you can buy in an Apple store is made there.
They have some serious quality and truth in advertising issues. I bought two of those DC to DC converters and they were a total bust. 600 Watts my cats a$$. No way no how from 12 VDC. It might make 600 from an higher DC input.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Operating at 28V it'll be a lot cleaner than the 12V linears.

Well unless they are contracted out by a very reputable company the manufacturing is generally poor. They pirate well known goods and cheaply throw them together and slap a well known product label on it. You don't remember the Kenwood, Yaesu and Motorola handhelds they pirated? That was a big scandal many years ago. A lot of Chinese made goods are very sub-par as compared to products made in the West. I actually bent a 3/4 inch Chinese made wrench one time taking a bolt out. It was obviously NOT made of good quality steel and certainly not chromium/vanadium like was stamped on it. Yes there are good products made in China but usually they are made by a western company that has moved production to China and dictates high manufacturing tolerances but most stuff generally made in China are something that you want to take a good look at before you by it.

Reactions: TruckerKevin
what sort of setup are you looking to create with the internal amp?

Like, what radio, and what level of output are you looking for?
LC
Hey loose cannon I'm more or less looking for something that I can put on the internal radio side with bad ass heat sink out the bottom of radio maybe move speaker (use a top panel cut out new speaker hole or just delete speaker and use external one) I'm looking for 50+ pep nice and clean minimal splatter I do not have an oscilloscope yet and and no way of alignment yet... Wouldn't know how to used it if I did at this point lol just looking for options at this point I'm just started in this hobby and wanted to know what's out there for internal amps... I know of the rfx models on the back of radio I believe replace/use in conjunction with final section but just wanted to see what else is out there thanks a lot

Definitely super new to hobby and would love any input I have the basic radio opporation and theory down and I have a good electrical background because of my profession

An RFX unit might be what he is looking for. Or something of the likes, reading his post topic and post itself. Though not internal they do mount to the back of the radio. Personally I would rather have a separate amp or have the RFX unit made to where if it blew, you could still use your radio. JMHO.

That is true they are definitely something I want to look into installing one of these days but I have a ways to go as far as equipment and knowledge I was looking more on the internal amps built in not added on sticking out the back if that makes any sense

07dodgeram5.9, you migh want to look at something more like this if you are trying to add some extra power to the radio itself and not have a separate amp per say. Meaning having a seperated unit from the radio itself. The RFX 150 will give you a good boost in power and they don't cost a whole lot. You'll need to have it installed, and I would have a reputable tech do this!! Here is what I am speaking of and the specs. They also make smaller versions of this unit too, so don't let the size of the larger RFX150 steer you away. I am not sure as to how or if you can wife one of these to make the radio work if it should fail. But anything is possible I suppose if you try hard enough.
Mind you, like I stated above, if you wire this directly to the radio with no on/off or bypass switch so that if the RFX unit takes a dump, you can still keep using the radio at least, that is if it's not burnt up as well. I will say that these units that I am speaking of don't like a high or bad vswr. Keep it under 1.3:1 VSWR (SWR), and they will work well. Also don't crank the power to the max and add a fan set to the back of them. Here are the pics I promised of the units and some that are mounted. And also they do make these RFX units in different sizes. Or power levels I should say. Hope this helps. Good day.
I am sure many will say to just add an external amp and I agree with that as well. But some people just can't do that due to moving around a lot or no amps in the work truck. Separate ones anyhow. Now if this is for your personal radio at home or mobile for your own vehicle, skip the RFX units and get an external amp for sure. I have heard many a people on 38lsb talking on a kl203p and they sound fine as long as the amp isn't overdriven. Anyhow. JMHO,S. Again good day.

Good info thanks I will definetly add the RFX150 to my list I have only seen the smaller ones need to look that one up

Hey I do really appreciate yalls input and yalls help I'm gonna ask one more request

What is the best linear amp...?

I'm looking for 50w+ clean and clear

I'm currently running 10w pep cobra 29 NW ST WX very laughable not aligned threw in a ERF2030 with its buddy EN1230 says it suposto put out about 30-40w pep ain't happening on this cobra or the other two I installed on lol

I followed the instructions perfectly on cbtricks.com love that site these radios are not new but seemed to be in good working order... I don't have much equipment to see what they look like on a scope or anything but seemed to be transmitting and receiving well any help would be great

dodgeram, I totally get where you are at with regards to the "more power" thing, and while there is something to be said for going above "stock power"; i want to take this opportunity to let you in on the big secret when it comes to cost/hassle/power out decisions.

When it comes to RF power, you will have to increase your signal by a factor of 4 in order to increase your signal by 1 S-unit in someone's receiver.

This means that if you are putting out 1 watt, and hitting your neighbor with an S-5; you will have to put out 4 watts in order to hit him with an S-6.

To hit him with an S-7, you'll need to put out 16 watts.

To hit him with an S-8, you'll need to put out 64 watts.

This calculation holds true regardless of how much power you started with.

that means that if your radio swings up to 20 watts PEP, and you hit someone with an
S-3; you will have to swing up to 80 watts PEP in order to hit them with an S-4.

To hit them with an S-5, you would have to swing up to 320 watts.

Using this example, it is easy to see that at some point, the money and hassle it would take to get that extra S unit just won't be worth it.

This is why many are telling you not to bother with a small internal amp, and to make the leap to an external amplifier.

I'm going to guess that you have a cobra 29LTD right now. A cobra 29LTD with a good tune up will deadkey 6 watts and swing up to 25+ watts any day of the week if done by someone who knows what they are doing. (many of us can make them do 50 watts PEP, but that gets a bit more involved)

so that would mean that if you spent 30-40 dollars for a good alignment and peaking of your radio, you would swing up to 25 watts PEP.

If that is the case, there is no point in trying to increase your output to 50 watts PEP, as someone on the receiving end would barely notice the 1/2 S-unit increase.

I would recommend a 2 transistor linear amplifier that is external to the radio if this is your situation.
you will get upwards of 150 watts PEP for a minimal investment.

If having the amplifier actually bolted to the radio is a deal breaker in your situation, then i would recommend the RFX150 as others have, because you don't have to modify the inside of your radio much to install it.

with the RFX75, and RFX85, you have to remove the final transistor inside the radio, which means that if you ever want to run the radio barefoot, you'll have to add all that stuff back in.

I would personally never buy another RFX75 because the improvements they made with the RFX85 are vastly superior.

hope this helps
LC

dodgeram, I totally get where you are at with regards to the "more power" thing, and while there is something to be said for going above "stock power"; i want to take this opportunity to let you in on the big secret when it comes to cost/hassle/power out decisions.

When it comes to RF power, you will have to increase your signal by a factor of 4 in order to increase your signal by 1 S-unit in someone's receiver.

This means that if you are putting out 1 watt, and hitting your neighbor with an S-5; you will have to put out 4 watts in order to hit him with an S-6.

To hit him with an S-7, you'll need to put out 16 watts.

To hit him with an S-8, you'll need to put out 64 watts.

This calculation holds true regardless of how much power you started with.

that means that if your radio swings up to 20 watts PEP, and you hit someone with an
S-3; you will have to swing up to 80 watts PEP in order to hit them with an S-4.

To hit them with an S-5, you would have to swing up to 320 watts.

Using this example, it is easy to see that at some point, the money and hassle it would take to get that extra S unit just won't be worth it.

This is why many are telling you not to bother with a small internal amp, and to make the leap to an external amplifier.

I'm going to guess that you have a cobra 29LTD right now. A cobra 29LTD with a good tune up will deadkey 6 watts and swing up to 25+ watts any day of the week if done by someone who knows what they are doing. (many of us can make them do 50 watts PEP, but that gets a bit more involved)

so that would mean that if you spent 30-40 dollars for a good alignment and peaking of your radio, you would swing up to 25 watts PEP.

If that is the case, there is no point in trying to increase your output to 50 watts PEP, as someone on the receiving end would barely notice the 1/2 S-unit increase.

I would recommend a 2 transistor linear amplifier that is external to the radio if this is your situation.
you will get upwards of 150 watts PEP for a minimal investment.

If having the amplifier actually bolted to the radio is a deal breaker in your situation, then i would recommend the RFX150 as others have, because you don't have to modify the inside of your radio much to install it.

with the RFX75, and RFX85, you have to remove the final transistor inside the radio, which means that if you ever want to run the radio barefoot, you'll have to add all that stuff back in.

I would personally never buy another RFX75 because the improvements they made with the RFX85 are vastly superior.

hope this helps
LC

Thanks brother I am still wet behind the ears and do not know the power output to actual benefit ratio yet I was under the impression that 50watts would get on out there a little bit guess I was wrong thanks for clearing that up... Do you have a link for the RFX150 price specs ect...

And another quick question how do you get a stock final 29 to swing 25+? Just a proper alignment and tune... Excuse my severe lack of knowledge

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.