• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 5888UV TX Range Limit Problem

CAMike

Apr 14, 2011
Fresno
I recently purchased the Anytone 5888 and am using the Wouxun/Anytone ver1.0 software for programming (for prior to 8-1-13 production unit). The USB Driver and read/write communication works fine in both directions.

Issue: I can't get the radio to TX outside of the 144Mhz to 146Mhz range on 2M, 70cm is totally no TX land. Is there an "Unlock" file like the Wouxun radios use to open up the bands?

It Receives all HAM freq. ranges no problem, so this is a Tx range limit issue. Under the left side tab "Limit CH." I entered some ball park freqs in the Receive side so that it auto-populated the TX freq ranges to read between 144 to 172hz for Low and High limits. When the software writes to the radio... I get no errors or "Out Of Range" errors at all after the upload to the radio. But when I try to hit repeaters outside of that small 144 to 146 window I get the OFF letters on the LCD screen with 5 beeps and No TX occurs. So I think there's a disconnect between the software programming and what the radio is hardwired to believe is correct. Clear as mud? ...yes I know.

I'm stumped and could use some ideas. Any ideas would be appreciated. In fact if someone can post a screenshot of their Limit Ranges, that might help me see things more clearly. Or am I missing something else completely?

Thanks Gents,

Mike

In my country, the 2M band is 144 to 148Mhz. As you see in my post the radio only allows me to use 144 to 146Mhz.

I have always unlocked my radios just in case the world ends or Obama or DiFi imposes Sharia Law on Amateur radio licensees. So far I haven't had to go out of band. Time will tell I suppose on that one.

btw- Do you know how to get the Anytone to TX between 146 to 148Mhz?

***Thanks m42duster. I sent Ed an email yesterday and I know he's slammed right now so I don't expect a response for a few days. Just curious if anyone here has seen this issue before or knows how to correct it. I like the radio and might buy another one for the other vehicle if I can get this corrected.

Ahhh. Software.

When I first tried to program the Anytone, my USB driver would only work with the CHIRP software, the Wouxun/Anytone program wouldn't recognize the radio or USB cable due to the driver being too new.

So I reverted to an older USB driver and now the Wouxun/Anytone program works and the Chirp doesn't, so go figure.

btw- CHIRP uploaded and downloaded to the radio just fine but the 144 to 146 problem remained. The other software also writes back and forth just fine, it also can't get past the 144 to 146 limit either.

I didn't buy the unit from Ed, I bought this unit from a gent on QRZ that had his for sale. I spoke to Ed last week on a different issue and Ed recognized that my seller originally bought it from him back in March 2013. Ed sells LOTS of radios!

Have you tried to contact the seller to see if they were having the same issues? Have you tried a hard reset? Are you able to get into the settings for the radio via Chirp or the Wouxun software?

I had that same radio and didn't have any problems transmitting wherever I needed. BTW, that radio is FCC Part 90 approved and I often work in a service that requires use of part 90 radios, where I used it with much success. I used the software that came with the radio to manage band limits.

I believe that there is different software that is only available to dealers to REALLY lock these radios down - my early interactions with some of the Yahoo groups cause me to believe this, although I could be wrong. I think Ed at Import Communications is your best resource, but please keep us informed as to what the ultimate resolution is. I know several folks here locally that either have or are interested in these radios so I would like to know how to troubleshoot a problem like this.

Have you tried to contact the seller to see if they were having the same issues? Have you tried a hard reset? Are you able to get into the settings for the radio via Chirp or the Wouxun software?

I didn't reach out to seller.

Yes- Performed hard resets on several occasions.

If you mean "settings" being the tabs of left side of the page Limit CH.Edit and Normal CH.Edit and the other tabs then the answer is yes, if there is another page in the software that I'm not accessing please let me know.

The CHIRP software is no longer able to see the radio as I reverted back to a really old USB driver and the laptop now only sees the radio via the Wouxun/Anytone software.

Great feedback folks, thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming. I think this radio has good potential.

After speaking with Ed at Import Communication (wouxun.us) this morning, he emailed me a zip file that enabled the US Ham freq range. I think I got a unit that slipped thorough the cracks i.e. it wasn't even set up for any bands. I'm short on time today so I only enter a couple of repeaters into it as I'm running late for appts, but it hit the repeaters that it previously would not hit. So it looks great so far. After I get some contacts and TX audio reports, I'll share that with the group here.

As usual- Ed is the man!

Thanks everybody for the effort.

Mike

Just got a few contact/audio reports on both VHF and UHF with the Anytone 5888UV. Folks say the audio quality is VERY good, full sounding and no additional noises even at full power. So that's a good thing. I put it on a meter and the advertised power levels are spot on with actual output.

I just received the October 2013 issue of QST magazine and they had a pretty thorough review of this radio. Although I disagree with some of it, the majority of the review is accurate. The USB driver debacle is indeed a mess. In fact, now that I can program my Anytone 5888, I lost the ability to read and write to my Wouxun UV2D's. So I'll have to go back and forth with 2 different drivers to program the Wouxun HT's and Anytone. I think if this company truly wants to be a player in the USA, they need to get their programming act together ASAP.

Overall I like the radio and the test of time and daily usage will determine if I buy more for the other vehicles.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio