• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 6666 HiFi mods?

I was on the anytone 6666
The Anytone sounded good with the asymod and your rack that did everything. Sounds like it could have been an ultracurve by the way you were describing it. I just didn't catch the model but I know you told me. It's sounds great as it is. I use an ultracurve but only use it for EQ. Good sound from your rig. I was not blown away by the other guy I talked to with the icom7300 with his Asymod. For the money i like the rack gear because it makes the set up universal for uses with any radio you have laying around. CHEERS!

Just a small update on the AT6666 for anyone who is interested. I found a mod by the audio amp to change a resistor and a capacitor for a slightly wider bandwidth. I followed the directions and it does help with the tx audio tremendously if your using external audio gear. Stock mic or a power mic may not notice much but it is a vast improvement in my headphones with those two components swapped. I'll eventually dive all in with the mods Goldfinger suggests when I have time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106-164650.png
    Screenshot_20230106-164650.png
    713.2 KB · Views: 49
I've considered dabbling into the hi-fi world and even have an extra quad 6 to experiment on. Maybe one day after watching you guys try it first, then the finished product, maybe I'll dive in.

Meanwhile-
From a distance watching everyone else hi-fi mod their rigs to see what happens... before it try it
View attachment 62092
Funny, I always pictured you with longer hair.

So I did the modifications that Goldfinger had suggested in an above link given by HomerBB. Apparently the Lincoln 2 and the 6666 have similar boards, but not quite the same as I found out but others who had done those capacitors change outs came to the same problem. Fortunately for me others had provided pictures and looking at schematics helped me navigate. The mods from Goldfinger had a list of caps to change out for tx and a list of caps to change out for rx. The caps that I changed for the tx was everything but the one electrolytic cap because I didn't have the right size. Doing the rest of the tx modification made a complete difference in the sound of the radio for the better in my opinion. If your just going to use the stock mic or use a power mic you will notice a difference but it won't be much. This modification works best with some external audio gear. If your using audio gear, you will notice a large difference in what tones are passed through than factory. This radio remains clean to my ears when not over modulated and remains loud. More low end and midrange but able to adjust and manipulate with a mixer or other audio gear. It's worth it if you have the gear already. The Rx I also modified but came to the conclusion that the lower tones and cutting down on the high tones took away from the excellent receive it has. I was unable to hear distant stations as well as it was factory, so I returned the receiver back to factory. Simple conclusion, no audio gear, don't do it you will not notice much change. Studio mic with a preamp and more goodies....do the tx mod and you will be noticed on air. The 6666 is not lacking in modulation or power. I don't know what the final audio bandwidth is but I would say for mine it may be slightly under 5khz. I personally was hoping for more because other radios I have modded gave more bandwidth. Not broadcast quality but so much more easy and pleasing to listen to if you were the listener. I used studio mic and 4 rack units. Hope this helps others. Thanks to Goldfinger and others on WWPDX forum that helped this modification exist.

Update. I did end up replacing the one electrolytic cap with the 330uf 25v that was suggested. It had better results when I used the stock mic that came with the Anytone, and seamed to smooth out the audio when I plugged the rest of the gear in. Fortunately I have access to Chester's Electronics in Kenosha, Wisconsin. It's an old time electronics warehouse/store. There's even a video out on their store on YT. Thanks everyone, cheers!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I used to go to Chester's other store in Largo, Florida, before they closed it down. I bought a lot of stuff from there. One of the guys there was Len from AES Clearwater, before they closed that too. He retired after Chester's.

Has anyone ever replaced the OP amps from the original 4558s? Just curious because I've replaced the OP amps in other radios for a change in audio quality and tone. Some for the better and some sound best with the original op amp.

Just a small update on the AT6666 for anyone who is interested. I found a mod by the audio amp to change a resistor and a capacitor for a slightly wider bandwidth. I followed the directions and it does help with the tx audio tremendously if your using external audio gear. Stock mic or a power mic may not notice much but it is a vast improvement in my headphones with those two components swapped. I'll eventually dive all in with the mods Goldfinger suggests when I have time.
What site was this found on? Curious what other mods they have.

I'm the guy that posted the pics of the cap locations for the Q6. You mentioned you didn't like the RX mods. I was wandering if you tried removing the cap for more highs? I don't recall the location. I don't recall all the details but if you removed the cap to open the highs back up I felt a definite improvement with the receive. If you also note I used 1uf caps instead of 2.2uf in many locations. Also note I used SMT replacements as well. I don't know if it makes much if any difference but that's what I done. I didn't notice any loss in weak signal strength copy ability in my radios and it definitely is nice to listen to. I run it mobile everyday on Channel 28 and also sideband I also use the Astatic 575 microphone. I had two of these radios and I ran one in the house on rack gear as well. What I experienced is the TX and RX mods are definitely worth doing even if using only a microphone and modest speaker. I experienced no negative impact of any kind. But I'm not sure if everything I adjusted about the WideBand mods made it into the post.
73 Panic Attack
So I did the modifications that Goldfinger had suggested in an above link given by HomerBB. Apparently the Lincoln 2 and the 6666 have similar boards, but not quite the same as I found out but others who had done those capacitors change outs came to the same problem. Fortunately for me others had provided pictures and looking at schematics helped me navigate. The mods from Goldfinger had a list of caps to change out for tx and a list of caps to change out for rx. The caps that I changed for the tx was everything but the one electrolytic cap because I didn't have the right size. Doing the rest of the tx modification made a complete difference in the sound of the radio for the better in my opinion. If your just going to use the stock mic or use a power mic you will notice a difference but it won't be much. This modification works best with some external audio gear. If your using audio gear, you will notice a large difference in what tones are passed through than factory. This radio remains clean to my ears when not over modulated and remains loud. More low end and midrange but able to adjust and manipulate with a mixer or other audio gear. It's worth it if you have the gear already. The Rx I also modified but came to the conclusion that the lower tones and cutting down on the high tones took away from the excellent receive it has. I was unable to hear distant stations as well as it was factory, so I returned the receiver back to factory. Simple conclusion, no audio gear, don't do it you will not notice much change. Studio mic with a preamp and more goodies....do the tx mod and you will be noticed on air. The 6666 is not lacking in modulation or power. I don't know what the final audio bandwidth is but I would say for mine it may be slightly under 5khz. I personally was hoping for more because other radios I have modded gave more bandwidth. Not broadcast quality but so much more easy and pleasing to listen to if you were the listener. I used studio mic and 4 rack units. Hope this helps others. Thanks to Goldfinger and others on WWPDX forum that helped this modification exist.

I'm the guy that posted the pics of the cap locations for the Q6. You mentioned you didn't like the RX mods. I was wandering if you tried removing the cap for more highs? I don't recall the location. I don't recall all the details but if you removed the cap to open the highs back up I felt a definite improvement with the receive. If you also note I used 1uf caps instead of 2.2uf in many locations. Also note I used SMT replacements as well. I don't know if it makes much if any difference but that's what I done. I didn't notice any loss in weak signal strength copy ability in my radios and it definitely is nice to listen to. I run it mobile everyday on Channel 28 and also sideband I also use the Astatic 575 microphone. I had two of these radios and I ran one in the house on rack gear as well. What I experienced is the TX and RX mods are definitely worth doing even if using only a microphone and modest speaker. I experienced no negative impact of any kind. But I'm not sure if everything I adjusted about the WideBand mods made it into the post.
73 Panic Attack
Thank you so much for responding to these posts. I might try your suggestion with the different capacitors for the receive end of the Q6. I just reverted it back to the stock receive when I was swapping different caps out. That's awesome that you run rack gear also. I just find that way much more versatile because it will work for any radio you wire it up for and you will always get unsolicited compliments on your audio. I also replaced the two op amps from the 4558s to 4580s. It made a big difference in the high end silibance that was just muddy to okay before. More clean and crisp. Even with the stock microphone like you said sounds so good comparatively after the mods. The 575 is a great mic to hold on to. For studio mics I have been using the Heil PR40. Other microphones work great too but the flat response of the PR40 just makes the wideness of the audio stand out where the other studio mics don't do that. Thanks for your input, without your help I wouldn't have been able to do this!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.