• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Apologies for Stepping on Toes

HBW1412

Jan 18, 2011
Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia
Well, it seems that I have stepped on some toes. That was not my intention and the aim of my posts on worldwidedx have been to have a civilized dialog about CB radio. I’m the first to admit that there’s a lot that I don’t know. It’s true, I have no idea what a “Christmas CBer” is, but Google apparently doesn’t either.

I’ve been coming to this site for 6 or 7 years and joined over 5 years ago because I thought this was a great site for all things dealing with radio communications and I still do. I have rarely made comments or even logged in for that matter. I usually come here a few times a week and read the posts anonymously using Ccleaner to clear my cache and the refresh button to get around the viewing limitations placed on non-members.

I use a stock radio and don’t use amps or noise toys and I’ll say that a thousand times. I say it, not because I’m afraid of the FCC – a practically defunct Federal organization, but because I’m proud of that fact. I have talked to people all over the United States, Mexico and Canada. I’ve made contacts in Europe, Africa and Australia. I want any potential new-comers to this hobby to know it can be done and done with bone stock equipment that doesn’t cost a small fortune. If that makes me appear to be a “paranoid weirdo” then so be it.

I want to expand the number of people on CB radio. I listen more than anything, but when I key the mic I try to be as respectful and courteous as I can. I don’t know whose listening and I do want to give a good impression. Years ago, many people stopped using their two-way radios altogether and many became HAM radio operators because of what CB radio had become. I hate that, but it is what it is. I stand by my assertion that CB radio has a bad reputation, but I’ve never called anyone here “riff raff”. In fact, I’ve always considered the people on this site to be some of the best radio folks out there.

I was once interested in getting a HAM license because of the increased range, but lost all interest after I was talked to like white trash by a group of HAM radio operators in a Walmart parking lot. They knew I had a CB radio in my car based on the antenna I had on the roof. Maybe it’s because of this experience that I learned how to spot a CB or HAM antenna on a car going down the road. Generally speaking the different antennas have a distinct appearance and are a dead give-away of what type of radio the person has on board.

I work for one of the largest Financial Institutions on the planet and I don’t answer calls in Customer Service. I’m seeing some disturbing things going on in the world. Corporate, Financial and Government institutions are building EMP bunkers at an alarming rate – all while the general public plays on their cell phones completely oblivious to what is coming. Anyone who builds an EMP bunker is a serious player and doesn’t do it to waste money.

I might be a kook, but I believe communication will be key in the event of a real national emergency. I have reservations about the use of radio in such an event, but after much thought I believe the 11-meter band will be more useful in the end. Instead of denigrating me or making innuendoes about my mental stability perhaps you should ask me why I think this way. I’m a nice guy and think I have a lot to offer others. I also know that others have a lot to offer me. In the meantime, I’ll continue to be the best ambassador I can for CB radio in order to grow our numbers instead of pushing people away.

I was once interested in getting a HAM license because of the increased range, but lost all interest after I was talked to like white trash by a group of HAM radio operators in a Walmart parking lot.

This gave it away for me. Talked to like white trash by a group of hams in a Walmart parking lot? lol

Reactions: tecnicoloco
This gave it away for me. Talked to like white trash by a group of hams in a Walmart parking lot? lol

I'll have you know, that my group does NOT hang out in the Walmart parking lot!!!!!!!!!

We can usually be found in the Women's clothing department.

"Also, how in the world is he getting away with this? Seriously, if the FCC leaves this guy alone what is the point of having 11 meter rules at all?

Maybe I’m paranoid, but I’m afraid to do any modifications at all to my radio. My CB radio (Galaxy 959) is 4 watts am and 12 watts SSB and not a bit more." -HBW1412

"I work for one of the largest Financial Institutions on the planet and I don’t answer calls in Customer Service." -HBW1412 (his profile lists his occupation as blacksmith/farrier. i wasn't aware that Wells Fargo still used horses)

apology accepted.
LC

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.