• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

APRS Voice Alert

VA comment

It is an interesting article. One point to make about the D710, the follow-up to the 700. In the situation where APRS frequency is selected, VA is on and BEACON is on it works well. If you move to another frequency on the "A" side and turn BEACON off so as not to transmit packets on a frequency you intend to talk on VA will be active and you most likely will not hear the other party.

To bring 'things' back to normal turn VA off in the menu or turn the TNC off from the front panel button. I think it best to just turn the TNC off as that takes care of VA and BEACON without making a menu change and ensures you will not be sending a packet.

I always thought it was a 'bug' in the software, but can't really see a way the menu selection for VA could be tired to a frequency. Unless VA is a selection made and stored with a memory channel.

Anyway I just wanted to add my 2cents about a very good mobile with one (I know of...) small operational issue.

Mike

Most of the newer APRS radios now have the ability to TX the monitoring frequency as part of the data packet. Most of the radios that recognize that packet also give you the capability to quickly change to that QSO frequency to make a call. This development sort-of makes the APRS voice alert procedure a little outdated.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.