• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Are Hams Friendy??? Ham here also. I think they are SNOBBY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Doug

Jan 13, 2009
Boise, Idaho
I am HAM also.. N7JGN.. If I meet a HAM and tell them I also like CB, it's like I'm a idiot.. they look down on you .. I would bet a HUGE majority of them got interested in Ham because of CB.. what is wrong with being involved in both??? most, but NOT ALL are Snobby.. I have that opinion and I think it is right on the MONEY.. LOL I hardly even get on those bands because of the SNOBS.. not my type people sorry to say.. LOL
Doug N7JGN

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

There was guy here once that said there is nothing wrong with Ham land, but it's just a different atmosphere. Sort of like a suit and tie thing, but he was more of a T-shirt and blue jeans kind of guy.

I used to sterotype people myself. I learned that assholes are assholes and nice people are nice.

I've meet hams that were idiots and cbers that were saints and vice versa.

I guess What I'm trying to say is that all Pit Bulls are dogs but not all dogs are Pit Bulls.

Mr. Doug...now you know why we all hang out and discuss radio here on this forum. There's no reason why "we all can't just get along". Everyone has something to offer and noone is better than anyone else. I talk on both CB and Ham bands...even MARS military Nets!! I do my best to adapt to the culture of each. I don't see why that should be a problem and if anyone else wants to "look down" on me for that, I just view that as their problem, not mine. After all, I feel like I'm getting the most out of my radio hobby by the wide variety of participation and doing it any other way is narrow minded, in my opinion!

we have a few hams here that come down and talk on cb ,why?because i guess they get tired of all the butt kissing and nice friendly ham talk and need to spice things up a little.cb can be very entertaining,unlike ham radio.
most if not all hams got thier start on cb ,dont let em fool ya .

LOL. Most all HAM's are great guys, they all have a certain personality though, but, when you're a CB'er and they are a Ham'er, then it's like talking to a car salesman about auto repair, the only thing they have in common is the car, so, what I mean is, the CB'er and the Ham guy only have 2 way radios in common, but, little else.

I don't think it makes much difference, CB'er/ham. There's going to be about the same number of 'objectionable' people in any group you run across. It's based on people being different in some way, just like color, politics, religion, hair style, tall/short, whatever. It happens, get used to it, then forget it. I own a Ford and a Chevy. I catch it from whichever group of people who like the one I'm not driving. It's so devastating that I immediately go directly home and change vehicles! Right?? Same thing with the CB'er/ham thingy.
CB radio has sort of been the real 'Novice' class for a very long time. (Don't say that too loud where people from either 'side' can hear it, Oooo you'll catch it!) It's been my experience that very few hams have never seen/listened to a CB radio (yeah, me too). What's the big deal? Every group has it's own terminology, much of which isn't really understandable unless you have some experience with whatever that group is talking about. I have no idea what "pearling two, drop one" means, but I can guess what that 'type' of person is talking about. No, it isn't someone talking about there new navel/nose/ear/eyebrow stud. At least I don't think so. So what do you do when you happen across a group of people where you just don't 'fit'? Stay or leave? Or just listen cuz your imagination can make all kinds of things out of what they are saying? I've done all three. Each can be entertaining, just depends on my 'mood', sort of. I even enjoy arguing to a certain point. When it goes past that 'point', I quit, I don't enjoy it anymore, so why stay? It's up to you. All kinds of ways to 'handle' that sort of thing, some more 'productive' than others. That's up to you too. Knock yourself out...
- 'Doc

Hell 75m pretty much IS CB, without the death threats (most of the time) and the profanity (most of the time). You just aren't spending enough time on the bands to find people of a like mind that you want to talk to. Give it time.

In the east, 3.810 is a CB style watering hole and there are a few others too, it just depends on what you are looking for.

My best advice is listen a lot. You will find the mood and style of groups as you spend some time spinning around the dial. I monitor often enough that I can pop in on a group I seldom talk to, but already know what the vibe is there and in some cases, know things to ask them based on discussions they had while I was just monitoring them.

Tell those snobby hams that the creator of CB was a highly respected ham operator.

W8PAL, Al Gross.
Was also one of the great technical innovators of his day, also the creator of the walkie-talkie.

Yea, but they don't get it.. OH well, I just talk to them for abit and if they seem like what I said I just AVOID them.. LOL.. :headbang

Tell those snobby hams that the creator of CB was a highly respected ham operator.

W8PAL, Al Gross.
Was also one of the great technical innovators of his day, also the creator of the walkie-talkie.

created cb??? how the heck do you "create" cb?:confused::confused:

yes , AL was an inventor and an engineer, and yes, After the war when the FCC allocated the first frequencies for personal radio services. Gross formed a company to produce a two-way communications system to utilize these frequencies. his company was the first to receive FCC approval in 1948. He sold more than 100 thousand units of his system, mostly to farmers.

btw, his walkie talkie operated on about 250 MHz..... a loooong way from 27 MHz.

Ya they think because they pass a test they are gods gift to the airwaves.Let's face it,any idiot can get a ticket these days!

Since this thread is an offshoot of another that has been locked and it looks as if this one is going down the same road it too shall be locked. Please do not open yet another thread and continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.