• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Art Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp

Lil'Yeshua

Nov 22, 2012
Pageland,S.C.
Hey guys.
I was looking for a mic preamp to run different mic's and to experiment with studio mic's sometime down the road. I bought a Art Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp off Amazon. Has anyone configured input/output cables to interface a hand mic/studio mic to a CB/Ham radio?
Specifications:
http://m.guitarcenter.com/Item/Default.aspx?itemno=1171932&urx=1#features
Output Impedance:XLR/1/4;600 ohms/300 ohms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Any suggestions for a good studio quality mic with XLR connections?
Note that the XLR on the ART tube is 600 ohms as compared to 300 ohms for the 1/4 output. I'm thinking that this would match up with a transceiver.

Most studio mics are going to be dynamic cardioid elements, and will work on most radios with just some minor changes in the radio's mic audio circuit. A preamp really isn't going to be needed unless there's a huge difference in output impedance on the mic itself.

I use a Shure SM58 studio mic on my station. I have tried several other studio mics, and I have found that the SM58 works the best for my voice. It sounds real good on my President Madison, which is the radio I specifically setup and modified to run with this particular mic.

Another brand of mic to look at would be Heil mics, those are also excellent mics to use.

~Cheers~

I'm curious and plan to experiment with tube preamps and studio quality mic's. One application may be CB/Ham transceivers. Robb;what did you do to modify your radio ? Plus my church is planning on setting up a studio to do video type productions and have formal training in this area of expertise. Since I'm a trainee learning a sound board,I'm interested in sound reproduction.
Home Page

I picked up my Art Tube MP Studio Tube mic preamp. I found a Shure mic at Sweetwater.com
I was thinking about getting two 10 ft. XLR cables w/ends. Instead of modifying the XLR output cable end,I might make an interface that the output XLR cable plugs into and a output four pin plug for a mic cord extension cable to go the radio.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM58

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 1

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.