• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Asking for a little help

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Bought a uniden pro 510 XL and Stock mic also echo Superstar DM-452 This set up would work perfect with a wilson 1000 mag mount in a chevy Van. was wondering about the best location of the antenna front of the ladder racks center of the roof . Wanted to run off of the cig or power ports.
Was looking to run stock but with the adition of an amp Lookink at the KL203-P from rm. Just looking to be loud and local would the RM KL-35 work. Wasc going cheep mic and radio underv50,00have wilson 1000 maby a RM 35 for under 49.00 would fit the bill

Placement of your antenna isn't going to matter much, as mag mounts have a simulated ground plane. Put it somewhere that isn't gonna get banged around on branches and such. Running a radio through a lighter plug typically brings with it ground noise (alternator whine, if you will). Is it possible to eliminate this noise and still use the plug? Sure, but not worth the effort. An even better way would be to add your own auxiliary outlet direct from the battery, using minimum 10 gauge wire. Which brings me to using an amp... I'll explain it like this... Garbage in = garbage out... Meaning a great sounding radio, through a properly designed amp, should theoretically sound good on the receiving end. Now couple this with your ground noise issue from using the lighter plug and it is going to sound like garbage, because the noise will be amplified to a degree. Take the time to properly run power to both / for both and you will sound better and be happier, as will the the other people on the receiving end. Hope this helps.

the higher the bottom of the antenna is the better the performance will be , so center of the roof will be optimal . be sure to stay away from the ladder racks since they are possibly metal and can make it difficult to tune the antenna . on the van roof the stinger will hit drive throughs and such . but the stinger is very flexible so no real damage should occur ...... just the boing or scrape noise inside the vehicle

Install not complete

Pro 510 XL mounted wired ( to out-let on Dash) Wil 1000 mag. DM-452 Squeals,adj 2 internal and external pots. Older uniden mic I had Full size hand mic like new low audio.New Road King RK-56 Low audio, even talking With useing lip guard close, Stock mic works and reports say it's the best match to the radio? Tiny mic. Tuned The radio on the bench And then mounted it in the van. Grounded frame to pasanger side seat frame 12.ga wire 3 watts out-put and then I started the van 4.2 watts could go to 5 or down to 2,but thats the olny thing I can see to tune.One wax filled slug. nothing I can see for modulation. The three white adj. are for the Meter for tx and rec and meter on radio I think. not like the old pro 510 xl. shoud I spread the coils in the back.????/ guess I will have to road test. any suguestions.

Attachments

• Uniden rs.JPG
    Uniden rs.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 83
see the thread under general cb discussion if you already haven't:
Uniden PRO510XL tune and peak how to

ALIGIMENT OF PLL & RECEIVE PORTION
ALIGNMENT OF TRANSMITTER PORTION
ALIGNMENT LOCATIONS

Not sure that these links will work with your radio; but the alignment locations look the same to me. So the alignment should be the same - that is a fair guess. Don't even touch the tuning cans that has the wax on them.

Where did you mount the antenna? If it isn't centered on the roof, it could explain why you aren't seeing an even output across the channels. Or the SWR isn't even across all of the channels.

Suggestions:
1. Get that echo mic squared away...cbradiomagazine did a story with it attached to a 510 and got good results with it....you should be able to as well.
I've used several different power mics with a pro520xl and it doesn't seem to be as fussy as some other CB radios.
2.IF you really don't like the look and feel of the stock mic- take the case off and use the mic case from another mic- you seem to want to tinker so you should be able to do this without much of a problem.
3. Set the dead key to 4 watts...2 watts if you're a going to run an amp.
4. I suggest a kl-203 or 203p if you are looking for modest power- doesn't draw a whole lot of amps and is modestly priced (wouldn't bother with anything lower as I have read that some people didn't have much luck with the lower powered kl amps.
5. There doesn't seem to be a schematic released for this as well as other Uniden radios...only the export versions and I don't know if they're similar or not.
6. With the surface mount technology...cb radios have fewer adjustment pots and lots of tiny diodes,resistors, etc. (no modulation adjustment pot to the best of my knowledge on the 510/520). The only mods that I've seen with regard to modulation for these radios posted online involve the use of a fine tipped soldering iron and magnifier as the components really are tiny...my advice...use the power mic and an amp if you desire (disclaimer: amp and radio mods make the set-up illegal in the US)...it's a good radio, just not as modifiable as some other radios- I think that over time-many more companies will end up going this route as well ....good luck

TrIED THE ANTENNA ON THE FRONT OF THE CAB ALSO THE CENTER LOCATION OF THE ROOF. All mics dont' seem to work, Tried to adjust the slider and two internal pots one for echo speed and volume. No luck could get rid of the squeal but kept comming back superstar DM-452
Screw it it's stock for now with wlson 1000. Was thinking of adding a kl-60 or kl-203. or say screw it and get a 29 or general lee or conex....Wanted a small cheap stock radio with stock mic but the Uniden Pro510-XL must have change to a cheap disposeable trash radio. Unless somebody knows different

I really don't think it's a bad radio,especially for the price. How are you measuring the squeal? If you are using another radio nearby or if you are using talkback the mic may be picking up the sound and causing feedback. You have a decent antenna, a good swr match will help as well. See what kind of contacts you can make with it and go from there.

Antenna to center of Van roof. Mike squeals when the mic cover is put on mostly, and I tried it without the metal screw, tried RK-56 to low,Older uniden full size mike,Mud duck again, Silver eagle would not do the trick. Was talking with out talkback.The radio doesnt have it. to some one 2 miles away. Also cb tricks doesn't match the schematic. 510 aint the same.

Radio is set to 4 watts 80% modulation aprox. Not much swing to speak of. Reports from checks on the road are good, veryclear or good and clear. But not any body saying that its loud but just sounds good

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.