• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic 575-M6 Squeal issue

first thing to do is re-check the connections on the mic plug inside the radio.

if you soldered anything to the TX pin, there is a chance that when you took the RB board out, you moved the wire on it to where its barely connected.
when you key the mic, it ungrounds the receive wire so the speaker cuts out, but you may not actually be TXing.

also make sure its not just the S meter acting up by verifying the same intermittent output on a wattmeter.

LC

also make sure its not just the S meter acting up by verifying the same intermittent output on a wattmeter.

LC

yet another excellent piece of advice from LC, as you were working inside the radio, with the close proximity of all the wiring, it isn't outwith possibility you stressed one of the meter wires and it has a bad connection, the quality of wire used in some radios is pisspoor as is some of the soldering, a few flexes and they can easily become intermittent,

s meters are also prone to sticking too, and can have some strange stick at the end of the scale effects due to static, i've seen a few times where ss3900 needles have stuck at the end of the scale and all it took to unstick them was a finger rubbed down the perspex which discharged the static, i notice this more often in mobiles using magmount antennas.

Ok guys, I'm going to be all over this issue tomorrow. I'll post what happens. I'll tell you this, if I do get this problem fixed I will NEVER go back inside this rig again. Never mess with perfection. My new motto. Thanks

Yes loosecannon you're correct. I am indeed using a 5 pin to 4 pin adapter.
this is the problem .......the 5 pin adaptor probably does not allow the blue wire to connect to shield as needed for 4 pin installation .
i would just go ahead and wire up a 4pin plug on it and be done with it .

The reason I didn't just wire it up for a 4 pin was that I was intending to use it on my 5 pin Grant. Today I did just that. I was getting a ton of compliments as opposed to the original Dynamike Plus handheld that I had on it. The only time it squealed this time was when I had it just too damn high. The meter isssue was a little tougher to diagnose. My output was working just as it was when the meter was registering as it was when it wasn't working. I talked distance and right on top of someone today. No diffence on their end as well as mine. At the end of the day it was the BUTTON that must have a bad contact. Because when one of my locals was talking I was pressing the S/RF button and just in between it would begin to register. Funny thing was that in the MOD setting it worked the whole time. Seems kinda weird how all this started after a failed roger beep install. I guess being a 25 yr old meter&button might have something to do with it. Going to try and use a little contact cleaner on it and see what happens.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated