• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic mike problem

radiofoxtrot

Jun 6, 2010
I have an Astatic D104M6B hand mike that is draining the battery even when I am not using the radio. Is this a component failure, the mike works fine when I install a new battery but after a few weeks of no use the battery is completely dead.

The only way that mic is going to burn up a battery that fast, is that you are either ratchet-jawing a lot more than you realize - or the mic is inadvertently getting keyed up. The latter can happen if the radio has been turned off, and someone is sitting on the mic. Or something like that.

These mics are either on - or off.
Nothing in-between . . .

This is the second battery I have installed, tested then left the radio switched off with the mike laying on it's back. A few weeks later I come back to use the radio but the battery is dead. ?

Is that the 9 volt model, or the 7 volt model? I never can remember......
I think the Batt is switched by the key on the Mic, should not even draw unless the Mic is keyed.....anyone ever change the cord?
Let me see if I can find the Schematic for that one....maybe a cap has shorted and eating the battery?

Jeff

Go take a look at this:
http://www.cbtricks.com/mic_manuals/astatic/d104-m6.pdf

Look at where the Battery is on the Schematic, the (-) terminal is open until the switch is closed, and looks to be isolated from anything else.......unless something is shorting these two pins together when the Mic is not keyed, i do not see what is draining the battery.
Might want to open the mic, and look at the connections on the switch.

Jeff

I have installed a new battery and will take voltage readings each day without it connected to the radio to see what happens.

9v or 7v? i have two 7.5v models i had a 9v newer model(didnt like the element), check to make sure nothing inside is causing a connection between the battery and circuit board AkA (short).(y)

It's a 9volt version, I had a new spare mike so have now started using that as the voltage of the battery was dropping without even using the mike.

What brand battery and are these batteries from a multi pack or seperate perchases?

Last edited:
The mic turns on the battery ONLY when it is keyed up. When unkeyed - the battery is out of circuit. So, something is initiating a partial contact. That is the only possible solution . . .

The metal clip just where the mike lead enters the mike touches the battery, but I have pulled it down slightly so will put a fresh batter in the original mike and see what happens.

mike.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated