• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic red devil mic.

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the above said mic. I used to use one years ago and thought about buying another but the reviews don't look so good. I don't like the looks of the D104-mb6 and I don't want or need echo in my mic. I like the astatic 636 look and this new mic will be hooked to a Galaxy 88. Although it is mainly used as a base I want a mobile mic for those rare times that I go mobile.

I put one on my Cobra 29LE the LCD version. I get good reports saying it sounds good. But I was surprised, they're not made like they used to be. It was harder to adjust, but it finally did. I've wondered if it was a hit or miss with these new ones. I had purchased the new version of the d-104 hand mics and didn't like them at all. Seems to be hard to find good mics for mobile cb radios nowadays.

I put one on my Cobra 29LE the LCD version. I get good reports saying it sounds good. But I was surprised, they're not made like they used to be. It was harder to adjust, but it finally did. I've wondered if it was a hit or miss with these new ones. I had purchased the new version of the d-104 hand mics and didn't like them at all. Seems to be hard to find good mics for mobile cb radios nowadays.

I bet they're using less than desirable potentiometers in the later versions

seems like I'm going to have a hard time finding a mic I like. I wanted a power mic but I'm thinking about just getting a 636L and calling it done.:confused:

astatic road devil

i was on utube & i saw a guy show how to take out the guts of a red road devil & mount it in a 636 was a few changes to be made but it worked out pretty good i got one of the original road devils it all black like the red one its a great mic

I bet they're using less than desirable potentiometers in the later versions

Yes that's what I'm thinking as well. Feels cheap. I didn't open it up and really look at it, just enough to put battery in. Looked cheaper made at that glance

Its made well, if anything with a higher quality circuit board than ever, nice and neat layout inside. As an eletret mic with ic equalization, the response curve is flatter than a lollipop on the bottom end, and rising high freq characteristic as the other D104s. What results is a powerful mic that sounds like the minuteman but with more fullness or low end. I have two and they are both very similar in as far as consistency/quality is concerned. I guess none of you remember how hand made and shoddy the original D104 M6B minuteman was. These latest Astatic is an improvement! The case is cycolac as before, the materials are the same, down to the coiled cord. Just setting the facts straight....

in my experience with the road devil and the 104m6b both worked great
in my mobile. the m6b to me seemed to had more/louder audio than the
road devil. however the road devil didnt seem to pick up as much background
noise as the 104m6b.so it was kinda a tradeoff. these were on the older astatic
mics when astatic actually made them. only NEW astatic mic i own now
is a 636l as far as i can tell it seems as good as my 10 year plus 636l

I have one and like it. But, it's about 4 years old now. As hotrod mentioned, I have also found it's not as noise cancelling as most NC mics, but doesn't pic up as much as the D104 hand mic. Good loud mic though.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.