• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ASTATIC ROAD DEVILS ?????

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
This is one mic I've never had the pleasure of using as of yet. I do realize they are noise cancelling mic's......are these mic's anything like the Astatic 575 M6's ? .......they do have the same look . As of the last few years after using a 575 M6 for many many years ,I have become a Turner Telex Road King 56 kind of guy.....in my case, that has to do with my radio tuning and I've come to appreciate echo boards (set just right) and no back ground modulation as IM rolling down the road (-: ....The RK-56 is truly a fine non-amplified microphone. (not to be confused with any of those CDL knock offs,they don't come close or have the drive of the RK's as far as IM concerned) Just was looking for some opinions on those Road Devils and there performance. Thanks Switch Kit

Switch Kit,
To answer your question: are these mic's anything like the Astatic 575 M6's ?
As far as audio on the RCI radio's, (being 2950-70's) no, they are not the same. I have one here that I used for about 2 hrs one day talking to several people on DX and every one told me that the "red' mic was not as good as the 575.

I guess the red mic was giving a higher tone and not the smooth tone that the 575 was producing.

I have only tired the "red" mic on just these radio's tho and so now it sits in drawer just waiting to be used again some day.But that maybe a long time since I don't plan on every owning any other radio than the RCI's!!!

I think it's like anything....the mic that others will like hearing is dependent on your voice characteristics and the radio you use it with. I've used a Red Devil on several different radios and been told it sounded great. Then I've used it on other radios, and it was terrible. But they are not at all like the 575. Personally, for noise cancelling mic, I like the Road King also.

thanks for the info guys ,I will absoulutely agree that not all mic's will sound good on certain radios where they will sound good on others. Reminds me of my all time favorite desk mic The Shure 526T .....would always sound great on 148s/Grants and other radios like that ,but on others, the mic just had no balls at all )-: just a mis-match of some kind ? thanks

I have two Astatic Road Devil's, One red and one black. I think they sound awesome, I get nothing but compliments on the audio from my Cobra 148GTL and I talk on it frequently with the top off of my Jeep Wrangler. I also use the Astatic Road Devil on various radios in the house and I also get great reports from the base. I also agree with Moleculo, No matter what microphone you buy you hopefully get one that matches your radio and voice well. As far as design and quality, I would say the Astaic Road Devil is a fantastic microphone. Buy one, The worst that can happen is you won't like it and you have to sell it to someone else.

Sometimes one mic will sound great on one radio and not as good on another-- has to do with mic impedance and AF range-- usually when you get a mic where the imedance matches up good with the radio it will sound pretty good-- tone can always be changed with a small filter circut somewhat-- but the main thing is impedance and mic element that will give you what you want-- audio quality/tone etc etc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Another factor is how the mike works with your particular voice. I have tried the Astatic Red Devil as well as the 636, and for my voice, these mikes possibly have too much noise cancelling - I was told that I sounded "not very loud".....but the 575 or the RK56 really works for me.

The bottom line - get someone who knows your voice to listen as you experiment with different mikes and settings, and just keep going until you "hit it"

Have fun.......... ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.