• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AT-5555N (Early Version)

sdmahr

Dec 14, 2012
I've had a AT-5555N for about 4 years or so. After a period of no use, I finally hooked it back up to find it has no modulation or power output on USB/LSB and the receive is muted on USB/LSB also.

AM/FM still work great (lots of modulation and output power). I've tried the "Reset" in the menu with no luck. Also tried a new microphone with no change. Does anybody know folks who can work on these things ? The board is almost identical to the Lincoln II +.....so maybe somebody knows something about it or where to start looking? Most say chunk it in the garbage and get another one..........unfortunately I'm not wired that way. If it were the processor or some other major item maybe......but everything works but SSB. I'm thinking a crystal filter, transistor, diode, or something else.

Anybody have any suggestions either on where to start or who can potentially look at it ??

Thanks - 73's

Unfortunately, by the time you pay shipping both ways and a couple of hours bench time to fix it, you are right at the price of a new one. Maybe you could sell the radio to someone who doesn't use sideband? Then put the money towards a new one. The new ones have DSP noise reduction that cuts out all the static. Just something to think about.

The 5555Nii is superior to the old 5555 in almost every way. As Shadetree said, cut your losses and upgrade to a better radio.

The original 5555N is a great radio, I have one of those too. As the previous two post state, the cost may not justify... especially when the N2 version is a far better in every aspect radio than it's predecessor.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.