• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AT-6666 or Kenwood TS-50 ?

Regarding your main concern, the Q6 is the better solution. I have had both and while the TS-50 wins hands down on SSB TX, it is susceptible to hash and noise. The NB is not as good as the one in the Quad 6. Also the "Q" of the coils is much higher in the Q6, which gives greater selectivity. The Q6 is designed to only cover 3+Mhz while the TS-50 has to cover 30Mhz. IMHO, you will hear legible signals on the Q6 that will be covered up by the higher noise floor of the TS-50.

Great analysis.

In the end I will buy the TS-50 as well, as you say the Quad 6 will likely be the best at resolving signals out of the crud.

Already have the 6666 so it will be nice to see the comparison and its pretty much just SSB that I use but having the TS-50 will give me the rest of the Ham bands too.

Probably should look at some SDR based radios too, have an ATS-25 which I have played around with and even though it perhaps a few DB deaf compared to other radios and very wide band it does a stellar job resolving signals even with its super simple implementation ( not a fan but punches well above it weight)

With some of these micro processor based radios have the potential with advanced algorithms to pull amazing results from what is basically static but of course for the best you are paying big dollars.

Great analysis.

In the end I will buy the TS-50 as well, as you say the Quad 6 will likely be the best at resolving signals out of the crud.

Already have the 6666 so it will be nice to see the comparison and its pretty much just SSB that I use but having the TS-50 will give me the rest of the Ham bands too.

Probably should look at some SDR based radios too, have an ATS-25 which I have played around with and even though it perhaps a few DB deaf compared to other radios and very wide band it does a stellar job resolving signals even with its super simple implementation ( not a fan but punches well above it weight)

With some of these micro processor based radios have the potential with advanced algorithms to pull amazing results from what is basically static but of course for the best you are paying big dollars.

After a long delay I eventually got the TS-50, glad I did, what a performer.
Much easier and intuitive to use than the quad 6 and resolves signals out of the crud far better too, even the internal speaker sounds great compared to every other internal speaker I have in other radios.
The mic up down and 4 other configurable buttons are really useful.
Great reports from all local and skip contacts though I must say I pretty much am only using SSB.

After a long delay I eventually got the TS-50, glad I did, what a performer.
Much easier and intuitive to use than the quad 6 and resolves signals out of the crud far better too, even the internal speaker sounds great compared to every other internal speaker I have in other radios.
The mic up down and 4 other configurable buttons are really useful.
Great reports from all local and skip contacts though I must say I pretty much am only using SSB.
That TS-50 has some weight to it don't it? I have one in the shack unused that I might use mobile. It's a great performer on SSB.

Solidly built stuff, built for quality not price.
Works great as a base and would be excellent mobile.

the ts-50 is a great old school mobile/portable transceiver. the only issues with those rigs are the electrolytic capacitors are notorious for leaking and destroying the fragile circuit board traces. change them out, its advisable and well worth it. also all of the push buttons are held in place by a sticky foam on the back of the faceplate. once this foam dries out from old age and it will, all the push buttons will start falling out of the faceplate. stupid design on kenwoods part

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.