• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

At Last

Atlasta

May 7, 2011
I first saw her in a magazine around 1975 or so. A full-color center foldout. What a beauty she was! Those big dual knobs on the front just begging to be tweaked. Rumors of her capabilities ran to the extreme. Some said she would go further than any of the others.

As I drooled over her specs and features I silently cried because I knew that she carried a high price - way beyond anything a paperboy could come up with. So I contented myself with lesser models, but always knew that one day she would be mine.

Years, then decades passed. I had countless others but never stopped thinking of her. By the time I reached a point in life where her price wasn't really an object she was largely unavailable in pure form. So many others had peaked, tweaked and done other unspeakable acts to her and her sisters that it was hard to find an unmolested example. I never gave up hope though, having prepared a place for her when the day came that she would be mine.

That day finally came early last week. A near-mint, Tram D201A with the original G-stand mic. Recently rebuilt (and documented) by Barkett electronics. All the right mods, done the right way. Even the troublesome channel selector operates properly. It is as fine an example as might exist outside of a museum.

She sounds as well as I knew she would. Mated to a vintage tube amp she sounds as no other.

It took 35+ years but I finally got my baby. When you hear that warm tube sound OTA, it's me.

Attachments

• P1010310.JPG
    P1010310.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: 4 people

Sweet! I got to talk on a former employer's D201A back in the Eighties. It was hooked up to a set of Moonraker 4's and ran it true sone kind of radiotelephone modulater. Rare indeed! Congrats !

SAWEEET!!! (y)

A true classic !!! A huge grats on getting that classic station up and running . I have only ever seen one of those radios,and that was a very long time ago .

Enjoy it man....you are running a piece of CB history !!! (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.