• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ATAS-120a mount

Redeye

Oct 8, 2009
South 'Bama
Question...for a mobil install, is the Diamond K400C mount what I want for this antenna and what coax? I see it comes with 6.5' of RG316 Teflon coax. Any other mounts/coax suggestions? I will probably mount the radio up front, thus requiring more than 6.5' of coax. I already have a hole drilled out in the center of my trunk lid that I was using for my Wilson 5000. Perhaps change it out for another mount and put the ATAS-120a here instead of a trunk "lip" mount???

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

I would suggest not using that particular mount, in fact, so does the manufacturer of that antenna (the trunk-lip mount). If you get into your trunk much, I'd also suggest mounting the antenna somewhere else besides the trunk lid.
- 'Doc

I agree Doc...Way to much antenna for a lip mount.
Having used on of those for about 5 years and several locations on the truck.
The ATAS-120A preforms best in free space above the roof line...The whole antenna above the roof line.
Mine preformed the best mounted on the tool box with an extended bracket lifting the entire antenna above the roof of the cab...

Really a nice antenna when set-up correctly...only reason I sold mine was it did not operate 75m and the POWER RATING ONLY 100watts...
Do not run any kind of AMP...zero...nada...it will melt!:oops:
All the Best
BJ :D

I have ran that mount for about 6yrs now with out any problems..i run it on my rear tail gate on a ford exploder.. thats all i recomend using...i open and close my rear gate many times a day w that mount and antenna on to let my dog in and out of the back. Not one issue of stress on the mount or antenna..

Reactions: Mudfoot
I have ran that mount for about 6yrs now with out any problems..i run it on my rear tail gate on a ford exploder.. thats all i recomend using...i open and close my rear gate many times a day w that mount and antenna on to let my dog in and out of the back. Not one issue of stress on the mount or antenna..

What coax are you running with it?

I run that same mount on the rear hatch door of my Ford Escape with a much bigger antenna with no problems. The antenna is a homebrew HF antenna that uses a fiberglass bottom section wound with coaxial braid and covered in heatshrink tubing. The top half is a long stainless whip(60 some inches) and is self resonant on 15m. It is over 9 1/2 feet tall overall and there ios NO problem at highway speeds(and sometimes far beyond). :whistle: The difference is that the mount is on the vertical edge and not the horizontal and that means a BIG difference when it comes to handling the stress.

Reactions: Mudfoot
Since you already have a hole in your trunk, why not make the hole big enough to mount a barrel connector click here SO-239 BARREL CONNECTOR

You may need a large type fender washer under the connector inside the trunk for a little bit more support.

Question...for a mobil install, is the Diamond K400C mount what I want for this antenna and what coax? I see it comes with 6.5' of RG316 Teflon coax. Any other mounts/coax suggestions? I will probably mount the radio up front, thus requiring more than 6.5' of coax. I already have a hole drilled out in the center of my trunk lid that I was using for my Wilson 5000. Perhaps change it out for another mount and put the ATAS-120a here instead of a trunk "lip" mount???

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Attachments

• barrelso239.jpg
    barrelso239.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 289
maybe a 2 inch barrel connector now that I look at it????

This is shown with washers and heavy duty nuts, (that's what she said) :LOL:

** Antenna Bases Click Here

this should work

Attachments

• barrelso239HD.jpg
    barrelso239HD.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 460
Thank You HH! I've been looking for something like this. While I do believe the K400 would work fine, I much prefer to use the existing hole I have in the trunk lid (even if it needs enlarging/reinforcing). I didn't much care for the Diamond RG 316 coax. This will allow me to use something better (LMR-400UF?)

Thanks again!

Scott

Those bolts shown above will work too. Just make sure its grounded properly. This antenna is very picky..but if its grounded right, it will work the balls.

Ps and dont try and tune it under a tree. I couldnt get mine to tune for several hours one day. To make a long story short, the tip of the wip was touching a twig on a branch. This twig was enough to screw it up. Pulled my truck FWD a few feet and i was golden.. just my personal experiance.

Those bolts shown above will work too. Just make sure its grounded properly. This antenna is very picky..but if its grounded right, it will work the balls.

Ps and dont try and tune it under a tree. I couldnt get mine to tune for several hours one day. To make a long story short, the tip of the wip was touching a twig on a branch. This twig was enough to screw it up. Pulled my truck FWD a few feet and i was golden.. just my personal experiance.

I spent all afternoon one day tuning my 80m mobile antenna. I got it tuned great for 3790 with about 25 KHz bandwidth. As I was making some last minute checks the wife came out of the house and got in her car and left for work. As she pulled out of the yard I watched my all my hard work go down the drain. The match changed with her car no longer alongside my vehicle. :headbang

I spent all afternoon one day tuning my 80m mobile antenna. I got it tuned great for 3790 with about 25 KHz bandwidth. As I was making some last minute checks the wife came out of the house and got in her car and left for work. As she pulled out of the yard I watched my all my hard work go down the drain. The match changed with her car no longer alongside my vehicle. :headbang

I had the same problem but with a few different radios..except, it was my house.. i have aluminum siding.. set my swr for various radios and when i pull out of the driveway my swr completly changes.. now i drive my truck out back.(i have a big yard). I tune my swr out in the open and away from trees, power lines, aluminum siding houses ect.

Whilst driving down the road, the built in SWR meter on the rig showed a great match on 40 meter.

I passed a semi truck and watched my SWR meter sky rocket while I was talking until I passed the truck. I noticed the same thing when going under an underpass.

One day I was sitting at a traffic light and I noticed my voice coming over the car stereo speakers. I knew a few torroid chokes would fix it when I get home, funny thing was the lady next to me was looking all over her car trying to figure out where the "voices" were coming from. LOL

Whilst driving down the road, the built in SWR meter on the rig showed a great match on 40 meter.

I passed a semi truck and watched my SWR meter sky rocket while I was talking until I passed the truck. I noticed the same thing when going under an underpass.

One day I was sitting at a traffic light and I noticed my voice coming over the car stereo speakers. I knew a few torroid chokes would fix it when I get home, funny thing was the lady next to me was looking all over her car trying to figure out where the "voices" were coming from. LOL

:laugh:

I came across a church PA system once while talking AM DX (11m) my mom came running out yelling at me. When she went back in i couldnt resist keying up and stating " this is god speaking." Followed by " evil laugh" with the end of my evil laugh dragged on w a long duration echo.
:oops:

This was 20yrs ago

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.